24" speedo with a 26" inch gear?

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by MaxGlide, Jul 24, 2010.

1. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

Hello all,

I need a speedo for a 26" wheel. Can I use a speedo that was originally for a 24" wheel but put the gear (the one that attaches at the front wheel hub) from a 26" speedometer on it?

Or is is the gearing inside the speedometer head that makes it a 24" or a 26"?

Thanks.... Wayne

2. meatwad

meatwad Member

This isn't an answer to the question but I have seen drives that had stamped on them 24-26.

Personally I used a huret speedo that came off an exercise bike with a 20 inch wheel and mated it to a 26 inch drive and as luck will have it , its right on the money.

( funny that an exercise bike has a speedo, reminds me of Rodney Dangerfeild in Easy Money where he crashes one into a Christmas tree)

Personally I'm cheap so I would try it. Just keep in mind that if you don't have the parts in hand there are quite a few different sizes of the threaded part that the cable threads onto.
  3. Whizzer speedo drives

Hi MaxGlide, Whizzer used the same drive on all the front wheels 24 and 26 until they began using the gray plastic drive on much later models. It is known to me that all the "open" (pinion and sector) drives are the same, being more accurate when used on 26" wheels.

4. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

That's good to know...... thanks for the info.