2cd build and review on new Schwinn Skyliner

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mlcorson, Oct 21, 2008.

1. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

Back in August I purchased a Staton inside Gear drive with a 33cc Subaru/Robin engine. I thought I was being very clever by mounting it on my daughter's (now grown) 15 year old Schwinn Citi frame. As work progressed on the install, I realized I needed new tires, tubes, brake pads, and a new seat. All told, I had about $50 in an old bike. Not so smart when a comparable new bike at WM is about $150. However, this is a good story with a happy ending . That was my only mistake. After install, I felt the frame was kind of wobbly. With all the weight of the engine and driver concentrated more or less toward the back, the front seemed a bit shaky. As you can see on the pictures, the frame is a light tube style. After some research on this board, I started looking at the new Schwinn Skyliner sold at Walmart. I like a womans frame because its easier to get my leg over the center bar. The new Schwinn Skyliner is a heavy duty frame and the install went very easy. I learned a lot from the first install and was prepared to make some improvements when I got the new bike. I am very happy and the Skyliner, it is...well... perfect. It's sturdy, the tires are fat 26" x1.95, and the spring front fork makes a big difference. I would recommend this bike to anyone mounting a rear mount rack. See pictures of the old and new bike.
    -Mike

Attached Files:

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

yes -- MB in picture #2 will do

nice -- very nice ------ enjoy yourself as you

ride that thing

3. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Nothing wrong with riding a woman's bicycle....

Nice build you have there, how fast have you taken it so far? Still breaking it in?

4. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

I'm on my 5th or 6th tank of gas. Easily up to 25 mph.
    -mike