2stroke or 4

N

nopedlenhere

I have been looking at drive units for my bike..the china 2strokes look neet and with care should do a good job pulling me...But i never did like 2stroke motorcycles because of the viberation..maybe build dampers for it??? keeping undr 50ccs. how well do the 4s pull you around..I think both probley have good points but who has both..thanks for the input...bill:)

2 stokes make more power per oz. as to say but 4s are easyer to mantain(no gas mix), last longer, and can be operated over long periods of time without having to stop and cool off

hey bill go to bicycles motor parts & accessories. read the reviews on engines ect! pm me for my personal opinion! we do all new engine test here with augidog & the rest of the mb'c research lab! it all depends on preference & rideing style or what looks good on your machine. do ya want a show bike or a daily rider/comuter?

The newer generation 2 strokes are so much smoother than the older ones. I used to be limited to 20 minutes of riding and my hands with go numb from the vibration and that's using thick foam grips on the handlebar. Now, i don't even notice the vibration in the grips anymore with the newer engines.

I do not notice any excessive vibration with the 2 stroke kits, unless you are revving the tar out of it. I can cruise at 20mph all day long, but usually my butt goes numb from the cheap seat before my hands ever get numb from vibration.

Vibration has nothing to do per se with the type of engine,and a lot to do with the balancing of moving engine parts.Overheating of engines also has nothing to do with the type of engines.But engines without forced air cooling regardless of type are obviously more prone to overheat at low speeds such as climbing hills..That the HT engines without cooling fans happen to be 2 strokes is incidental.Two strokes have higher specific output, (HP/liter),worse fuel economy and a louder more high pitched exhaust note.They are also a lot simpler,lacking valve gear and attendent problems.There are fewer things to go wrong.They put higher demands on the ignition system (twice as many plug firings) and are consequently more prone to misfire at high rpm.Having to mix oil is a bit of a nuisance,if you forget or let the engine run till it runs out of fuel you may be in for trouble due to lack of cylinder lubrication.(piston seizing)

Last edited by a moderator:
2 strokes are loud and the exhaust smells.

Also 4 strokes run better and stall less, and at least on long trips, you can just pull up to the gas pump without needing to mix anything, just fill and go.

one thing for sure ---
this question will be asked forever and answered different at times by the same person

the two main differences are SOUND and the MIXING OF GAS

I have owned a lot of both 2 and 4-strokes -- MBS, motor cycles, equip ect
sound wise -- I will always perfer the 4-stroke
4-strokes are not as loud -- seem to be easier on the operator and everyone else

2-strokes --- have some great power when one revvs the heck out of them

from your statement above I notice that you didn't like 2-stroke motorcycles
neither did I
one of the fastest motorcycles I ever owned was a Yamaha Bigbear
what a fast, loud smokebomb that THING was
I and that's just me -- find 2-strokes annoying as I

ride that thing

Most motorcycle races have been won by 2 strokes,because of power /weight advantage.From a cost vs performance perspective 2 strokes win hands down.From an economy& pollution point of view 4 strokes have the edge.Honda has been working on resurrecting 2 strokes by improving, among other things the low speed low power combustion process,which is a large contributor to the high emisions and they appear to be succeeding,which is great news for 2 stroke diehards.For interesting info go to: www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/honda-exp2

Back