2stroke or 4

As long as people understand that the Ht will not be turn key and will require work to get right and stay right, they probably will not be disappointed.

It seems like the problem is that some people buy the HT thinking all will be easy and not wanting to exercise any ingenuity. That's where the complaints seem to come from.

As long as people understand that the Ht will not be turn key and will require work to get right and stay right, they probably will not be disappointed.

It seems like the problem is that some people buy the HT thinking all will be easy and not wanting to exercise any ingenuity. That's where the complaints seem to come from.

Guilty as charged. I wanted to buy and build something that I didn't have to wonder if it would break down on my 20 mile ride into work. If I were just goofing around it may have been a different story, but I doubt it. My life is busy enough with 3 kids in 3 different schools and sports to have time to tinker with my MAB. My current bike requires very little maintenance time. An occasional fouled plug, tighten the drive chain, and check tire pressures....that's about the extent of what I've had to do for over 500 miles so far.

Warner

For the application we are talking about two strokes are the perfect engine - with a proviso that they are decently made commercial engines.. and in that you get what you paid for.

In my case... 32cc 2 stroke with a pipe on the Golden Eagle kit with a #14 gear on... top speed of 38mph on the flat and apparently somewhere around 180mpg!

GEBE are towards the expensive end, but all in all its worth the money for what you get...

22 miles at an average speed of 30mph including 6 steep inclines on the round trip (3 each way) is fairly impressive and that was on the #13 gear. The #14 should make better time.

Jemma xx

I Think perhaps you need to decide on what type on setup you want first.
In Frame (happy times)
Chain Drive rack mount like a Staton or Titan
Belt Drive rack mount like GEBE
Friction Drive rack mount like Staton or Dimension edge
Then see what engines are avaliable for the setup you choose
And go from there. It's not as much the 2 stroke 4 stroke thing as it is "QUALITY"
Good engine quality is the key to reliability!!!!

22 miles at an average speed of 30mph including 6 steep inclines on the round trip (3 each way) is fairly impressive and that was on the #13 gear. The #14 should make better time.

Jemma xx

WOW! That's a high average speed! Much traffic in your area? I average a bit less (25mph) even with 45+mph peaks. You must go fast on your bike ALL the time, hehehehe! :devilish:

ZnsaneRyder

WOW! That's a high average speed! Much traffic in your area? I average a bit less (25mph) even with 45+mph peaks. You must go fast on your bike ALL the time, hehehehe! :devilish:

ZnsaneRyder

I was thinking the same thing. I average about 27mph (when moving) on my way to work (bike computer stops when I stop, thus doesn't calculate the "stopped" time into the average speed, but my ride is about 19 miles and I make it in less than 45 minutes, so I'm probably in the same range as you as far as average speed (25 ish). If I never had to stop, it would be more like 30 I would say.

Warner

Hey ZnsaneRyder, I think I figured it out....maybe Jemma has a weight advantage on us! She looks like a skinny girl....prolly' weighs a buck-ten! Hahaha. I don't know about you, but I'm about 180 and my bike is probably in the 70 pound range fully loaded with my rack, bags, tools, work clothes, 9 pound battery, headlight, etc on it. Hehehe....

Warner

My commute to work is about 9 miles each way - with a little downhill on the way there -I work right next to the river valley. Driving (car) takes 17-25 minutes, MB about 30-40 minutes. Not sure how to calculate average speed - but it is more fun to ride ....that thing.

Guilty as charged. I wanted to buy and build something that I didn't have to wonder if it would break down on my 20 mile ride into work. If I were just goofing around it may have been a different story, but I doubt it. My life is busy enough with 3 kids in 3 different schools and sports to have time to tinker with my MAB........

If you commute 20 miles, maybe a small motorcycle (or larger scooter) would suit you better. Much safer to ride with traffic than it is to be relegated to the shoulder IMO.

If you commute 20 miles, maybe a small motorcycle (or larger scooter) would suit you better. Much safer to ride with traffic than it is to be relegated to the shoulder IMO.

The bike works just fine for my commute...thanks. I've had motorcycles before and if that's what I wanted, I'd get one. I wanted the bike and like how it works out. I have no licensing, no insurance, and very little fuel consumption with the bike. In addition, I get some exercise on the bike as well. My commute is actually 40 miles (20 each way). In my car, it takes me about 30 minutes each way; on the bike it's 45 minutes to work and 55 minutes home (since I pedal for a couple of the miles on the way home with the engine off). 20 miles each way is well within the limitations for a good MAB, without question. Most of the areas where I'm riding have a shoulder that's almost as wide as a full lane - besides the debris that you have to look out for, it's actually pretty safe.

Warner

Back