3 Piece Crank or 1 Piece Crank?

Do You Prefer 3 Piece Cranks or 1 Piece Cranks?

• I prefer 3 piece cranks

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • I prefer 1 piece cranks

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
B

birddog

If you have purchased, are considering a purchase, or know about the 4 stroke kit and have a preference please vote for you choice. If/when you purchase/purchased a kit would you prefer the single piece crank or the 3 piece crank packed with the kit?

I think the 1 piece fits most cruisers
perhaps a choice when buying could be the way to keep everyone happy (always gonna be someone who's not )

That would be an ideal solution Bill, I'm just afraid to stock both kinds because they would be very easy to mix up. I will however, give that some more thought. Perhaps if we had the factory mark them clearly on the packaging we could keep them separate with minimal confusion.

I prefer the 1 piece though I have worked out solutions and can get by without the kit cranks. Option on choice of cranks would be nice.

birddog, the units with the thumb choke need some redesign. The choke and throttle cables rub. Someone that doesn't catch this will be replacing cables at the most inopportune times.
The choke butterfly assembly when fully closed presses against the throttle cable. I made adjustments to keep the cables from rubbing but the butterfly assembly I have not fixed. The plate that holds the choke cable cause the throttle adjustment to be to far out and won't allow throttle butterfly to fully close. I cut the plate at throttle adjustment screw. The gear box cable mount is at such and angle that the cable hits the carburator bowl not allowing the cable to align properly. These are mainly simple fixes but do show someone didn't test. IMHO I would go back to the older choke assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I should not have voted with my 2 stroke, even though it needs the wider crank as well, but after much thought on 1 or 3 piece I decided that it make more sense to be able to swap out the arms with longer arms. So I want a vest with my jacket and trousers.

A 1 piece sort of locks you in to how long the arms are. Someone could make really short arms for their low rider, although I can't imagine shorter ones than I got with my kit) and then someone else could want long arms for their long legs.

I like the 3 piece better but I must qualify that by saying it is because I can use regular cranks. It can also fit all bikes not just cruisers.

There are some bikes that look a bit better with a 1 piece, more natural because of the 1piece curve, but other than that you can keep them. I mean think of the millions of older large mountain bikes with 3 piece BB's. You can slap in a 4 stroke, long spindle and go. I'm not sure why folks think 4 stroke engines are just for 1 kind of bike - I mean you can put a 4 stroke on a mountain bike......

Back