300 LB Rider want an engine that can be removed easily HELP.

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by Fatwebbie, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Fatwebbie

Fatwebbie New Member

I need help. I am new to all of this and I dont totally understand it so I need lots of help.
    1. I travel A LOT for work via a car. I want an engine that I can easily take off and on so my bike on the back of my car just looks like any other bike. Then when I want to ride it or need to, should I break down out of cell range I can grab it out if the trunk and throw it on.
    2. I am 300 lbs and I want something that will push my fat butt up hills should I need it too.
    3. I would prefer it to be a quiet as I can get.
    So what should I do. I think the friction is the way to go from what I see it MIGHT be the easiest to do a quick disconect with as well as if I need to change it to another bike for any reason I could do that easier too. What do you all suggest.

2. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

If requirements specifically necessitate a quick disconnect method, then friction drive is the only realistic option, but you'll still need to mess around disconnecting the throttle cable and spring loaded mechanism.
  3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Reducing exhaust noise is a fairly simple process but an electric system would be a better option if (lack of) noise is of prime importance.
  4. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Hauling heavy loads up steep hills is my specialty. I've got a ton of information on that subject.
  5. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

Now if money isn't a problem, look into the Shuttle Buddy. I've don't own one and haven't heard of anyone owning one, so you're on your own :

Good Luck,

AKA: BigBlue
  6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The Shuttle Buddy looks like a neat little system.
  7. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

The carb slides off a China girl pretty quickly. if you had that type of carb, you could remove the motor but keep the carb on the bike to avoid throttle cable removal. Another idea is to create a quick release in the somewhere in the middle of the throttle cable, using quick-disconnect hardware from a brakeset.
  8. Bill555

Bill555 Member

Install an engine on a folding bike and you can put the whole thing in your trunk.
  9. DoIt AllPauls

DoIt AllPauls Member

What ever you do stay away from bumblebee.
    I never owned one but ,the trouble bumblebee goes through with spamming and creating fake accounts on this and other MB form just to act like a member and pushing his bumblebee kits .
    bumblebee does this knowing it's again the forms rules and not caring tell me all I need to know,
    If bumblebee kits were any good he would not have to try so hard to sell them.
  10. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

This is true. Any vendor that needs to spam so much to sell a kit should be avoided. If the kit was good enough then there would actually be people on the forum talking about it other than the same spammer under different account names all the time.
  11. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

So true ya know when i first met Paul (doitallpauls) he got a 4 stroke kit from BGF not a friction drive kit but he could not get it to start.Before I posted this I ask Paul first.
    bumblebee I call him blunderbi+ch did not try to help Paul get his new engine up and running like any good member would of done he had him convinced to through it away eat the $330.00 he paid for it and go with a 2 stroke blunderbi+ch friction drive kit .
    I PM Paul just in time to save him from that big mastake and to let me help him before he buys another kit.
    We now are out riding .
    I went over to his house and fixed it with in 3 hours at a cost of I thank $35.00 for parts but better than $330
    So I agree stay away from blunderbi+ch
  12. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
  13. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

One thing i started to notice was that only the spammer would be talking up the Bumblebee product and no one else.
    Those who purchased the Bumblebee kit (on the spammers advise) were sorely disappointed with it' performance and poor design and sub standard quality.

For the spammer to say that the engines are first class quality and made in Japan when they are actually made in China and low grade junk is shockingly deceitful.
  15. Fatwebbie

Fatwebbie New Member

Thanks everyone...I will stay away from Bumblebee, I know NOTHING about engines and motors let alone anything about putting them on a bike, yet a month or two ago when I saw their stuff something was telling me to stear clear. So I appreciate the headsup.
    Fabian I checked out your stuff VERY cool. Looks fun. I dont need to haul quite that much though, lol. Although at some point adding on a trailer would be fun.
    So, what is the best Friction Set up out there that has a reasonable price attached? The Shuttlebuddy looks cool but NOT in my price range.
  16. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

From what i understand, there are some well engineered friction drive kits.
    Unfortunately i am not knowledgeable about those types of drive systems to offer any well researched advise. Hopefully there are other forum members who can offer their knowledge and know-how when it comes to friction drive systems.
  17. loquin

loquin Active Member

I'm also a big rider (A former college DT who's at 325 pounds.) From my experience, Staton FDs are first rate. I haven't used Dimension Edge, but they are also reputed to be a solid system.

Both these two manufacturers supply top-quality engines with their kits.

Take a look at the two review threads, below, to get an idea as to how folks have fared when working with the two vendors.

Dimension Edge Reviews
    Staton-Inc Reviews
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013