32 spoke wheel, any options?

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Reeko, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Reeko

Reeko New Member

Hey guys, got my first motor bike built. Was getting it to start, rode a bit, then my chain broke at the master and cant find the pieces.

I'm using the rag setup on my 32 spoke wheel, and only have 8 of the nine bolts on it right now (the ninth is blocked by spokes) There seems to be no way to get all 9 bolts through, 8 is the best I can do. It's pretty hard to true the sprocket because of this (I am thinking this is why my chain failed). What are my options? I want a clam shell adapter but can't seem to find one that will work with 32 spoke wheels. Should I just buy a 36 spoke wheel and get a clamshell, or is there another way? Thanks guys!! It's a 700c wheel btw.

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

loosen the spoke that is blocking and put a bit of bend in it at the bolt-hole, then mount the 9th bolt & align the sprocket, now tighten the loosened spoke and check wheel is true (spokes don't need to be straight to work)

Timbone and FurryOnTheInside like this.
  3. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Active Member

If you can find clearance for 8 holes on a 9 hole rag mount then you can definitely find clearance for a 3 peg clamshell. It would be mathematically impossible not to be able to since you did it 2 out of 3 times on the rag mount.

4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

been there, done that. loosen the spoke and bend it out of the way. you'll have the same problem with a clamshell.

5. Reeko

Reeko New Member

thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up being able to true the sprocket using only 8 of the bolts. Seems to be running fine now. Lubing the chain with moly gease helped alot too. Thanks again!

6. butre

butre Well-Known Member

good lube never hurts. I like to direct my exhaust so the excess oil lubes my chain.