34 Tooth Sprocket RPM's?

mcassMB6

Local time
12:07 PM
Hi- I'm running at 44 Tooth sprocket now. I'm soon upgrading to a 34 tooth.

Can anyone tell me how much of an RPM difference there is once I switch over?

It will be a DOG starting off but will be faster up top. Cruising the RPM difference would be quite a bit although I don't have actual stats. Expect to be peddling up to speed.

HI,

You will have about a 23% reduction in engine RPMs for any given speed .....FWIW....I currently run a 36T in hilly VA and am going to gear up when I get a chance (smaller rear sprocket)...I run a DAX 70...And can do 34.4 MPH at 6400 RPM with this setup (26" wheel)
6400 RPM is way too fast for sustained running tho (engine making funny noises....so rather than risking blowing it....I'll either run slower or gear up)....36T is pretty good for cruise BUT 34T or below would be better I think....I will change over when I get my other bike going.
Hope this helps you.
Andrew

PS - I do run a tuned pipe tho....The 36T and smaller can be run without the pipe (I tried the 36T without the tuned pipe....just slower acceleration and harder to pull hills....didn't try a top end run tho since I liked the power sooo much the pipe wen back on ASAP).

I'm working a new bike and decided to go smaller gear because the motor was literally screaming at 32km/h. I got frustrated trying to find a decent priced 34-36 tooth so I ripped the largest bike gear off my old bike wheel, it's a 28 tooth. hopefully that's not too low a number because I'm probably going to have to cut my chain and never be able to go back to 44.

I should have it going in a few days. I just put the 28 tooth on the wheel with 12 bolts through a custom made steel and rubber hardware. No too cute but it should work. nearly idling along at 32Km/h should be a **** of a lot better MPG too.

Sorry, heck of a lot better MPG. LOL

I switched from a 44t to a 36t and it does provide faster cruising speeds. I have 2 - 3 steep hills on my way to and back from work. My mileage has plummeted from 200+ mpg to 120 mpg or so.

My theory is I need to go full throttle while peddling up those steep hills. Thus, its killing my mileage compared to what I had before.

I am considering going back to the 44t sprocket. I need to get a new chain as I didnt save the pieces I cut off when I went down to a 36t.

The only thing preventing me from going back is I keep wondering even though its costing me more in fuel, perhaps I am getting more life out of my HT because of the lower rpms.

Hmmmmmm.....that is interesting about the MPG's....I can't say I have ever measured it myself (a tank with me lasts seemingly forever!).....

To put the mileage figures in perspective though, were you riding the 36T a lot faster than you were with the 44T?...If so, I wonder how mileage would compare if operated at the same or similar speeds?...Just curious but maybe aero drag accounts for the large loss?....Interesting none the less....

Thanks for sharing your findings!

Andrew

i am running a 44t, with a 48cc motor, i want to get a 36 tooth, because my rpms are crzy and i top out like a 25mph and it gets there to quick.

i have alot of flats, and alot of hills, very diverse. with this 44t spocket, i am riding WOT and at Top speed going on long strait aways

I didnt notice a great/noticeable increase in mileage from 44 to 36. Probably because alot of my riding was start stop in the metro area, or maybe because since I never actually measured the fuel consumption any significant(but not great) mileage gains are unnoticable.

Im waiting for a 31T sprocket thats taking more than 16 working days (more than 3 weeks) to arrive. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Iron Monkey & mcassMB6,

Are you guys waiting for a sprocket from me?...If so, Please PM me your names and addresses / approximate order dates / and any other info you think may be helpful and I will research it ASAP....I try to get everything out in generally 48 Hours or so.

Thanks for your patience if it was me and I will definitely research it if it was me and make it right...

Thanks
Andrew

Back