389cc 13HP HF engine on Amazing sale...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by macarollo, Feb 19, 2009.

1. macarollo

macarollo Guest

I just received the ad HF mails out.... this engine is on sale for $299.99 in store.... normally $379.99

Well they ALSO just released a 20% off coupon Feb 20-23 (they emailed it to me).

That would make this monster engine cost only $239.99!

Remove the rev limiter on this bad boy and you could reach 18-19HP.

Someone should build a motorized bike around this engine!!! If I had the money I would be tempted to try it.

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Yeah, a novelty project like that might be fun if you had a lot of private land to ride it on.
  3. macarollo

macarollo Guest

I think the sale price of 299.99 is actually for MArch 13-15... so the 20% coupon would be expired by then.
  4. macarollo

macarollo Guest

Actually upon looking at the ad closer... I think the offer is good now for 299.99 plus 20% off coupon.
  5. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

I always look at those engines every time I go in there, man those things are huge! I was tempted to put one on a friend's tricycle, but glad I didn't, being just the 6.5HP would pop wheelies! :ee2k:

But, for a large bike trailer..................DO IT!!!! OMG Wicked HP & TORQUE! If I had the $$$, I'd do it as a fun hobby project! Haha, that would be psychopathic!!! Then all the folks scared of our 6.5HP trailers would be shaking in their shoes! :devilish: I did mention trying one of those to firebellycycles one time for running the salt flats!
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  6. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Can we say overkill for a bicycle? It would make for a killer go-kart but at 389cc it's more than half the displacement of my Suzuki SV650s. It would be way WAY too fast for a bicycle.
  7. macarollo

macarollo Guest

I have an SV650S as well.

On a bike you'd want to have disc breaks, probably full suspension, solid rubber tires, good protective gear...
  8. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

over 70 pounds -- that's a heavyweight

yes the thought of having all of that power on a bicycle -- is more that interesting
    it's a fun thought I guess
    facts being -- due to size -- that THING would be a ((( motor cycle )))

maybe used in the back country
    in the cities -- would only bring pain to the MB cause -- confusion

as we ride those things
  9. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

Anybody remember a little bitty car called the "King Midget"? They came with something like a 10 HP Koehler motor. One of those HF engines would kick a** in that!
  10. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

It would be a toy or hobby project for sure. That engine is very big, and would not be good for long reliable transportation for a bicycle. It would be for having fast fun on a bicycle, or racing for sure. It's also too heavy to be practical for pedaling. It would be a BLAST though, and scary adrenaline rushing fun.

Now making a cheap car like a king midget, or making a frame of your own, I'm certain, a quick car with 60-80MPG and good power could be achieved with one of those big 13HP GX engines.

I've been thinking about how a light and small street-legal dune-buggy frame with shocks can be made, put on plastic body panels, and Plexiglas windshield on it, lightweight aluminum wheels, electrical system (13HP electric start engine has built in alternator already) Comet TAV2 CVT with a chain shifter with two speeds, just high and low, and 70-80mph top speed, and a very economical and simple car could be made. It would be EASY and cheap to fix as well - no need for the auto repair shop. I imagine it would be extra cheap to insure and register as well. If I get the funds in the future, you bet I'm building my own economical car!
  11. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I've wanted to do something like this for awhile. I'll keep on modifying and maintaining the KIA until it dies then I'll think about a buggy