4-stroke Build Longevity

This was my very first 4-stroke build back in 2011
Notice how clean and new the plywood against my photo wall is?
This was right after my shop burned up in the big fire.

4strokeDoneRight.jpg

4strokeDoneLeft.jpg

Just a simple Macargi Touch coaster brake but a Springer fork and additional pair of C-brakes added.

After a couple of different owners, it found it's way back here for service and upgrades.
A couple of... let us just say 'unskilled people' have 'fixed' on it.

The pedal system was toast.. bend crank shaft and welding to try to keep the BB cups on that were re-installed wrong, and the exhaust valve was so out of adjustment it didn't even open.
We just 'un-fixed' that and rebuilt it with new parts right.

Someone had also installed a long straight pipe exhaust that was really loud and the customer wanted it quieter.

All set for another 4 years now.

Touch4SrepairL.jpg

Touch4SrepairR.jpg

Hard to argue with what works and holds it's value no matter how abused it gets.
(you should have seen the oil)

We went through everything which is so nice when I built it to begin with it.
I am actually supersized that that Springer fork has held but it shows no sign of fatigue at the crucial flat pivot point bolts.
It's taken a lick'n but be still keeps tick'n as good as ever ;-}

Nice job. Good parts do make a difference. Do you remember who manufactured the front forks?
No I don't remember the springer fork brand, I got them from the bike store around the corner where I got the bike.

Awesome that your very first 4 stroke build has lasted that long, and a shame that some idiots nerfed it all up. You may speak politely of these people, but I will not. It may have something to do with the fact that I own a vintage frame that was very nearly destroyed by one such idiot, or the fact that I recently received two frames and a pile of parts that have been rendered unrebuildable by another such idiot, and had I known ahead of time I never would have taken the bikes, they were free and I can build a pedal bike out of one of them, but I can't do anything with the motorized parts.

Whoever nerfed up this bike, statistically at least ought to be dead. Let me give you a rundown. Its a 2 stroke mountain bike. Ill work my way back to front. Rear bearings way out of adjustment, rear brake cable disconnected, rear cassette frozen, seat loose, front derailleur removed along with all but one gear on the chain ring, front engine mounting studs bent to fit around oversized frame tube, spark plug rusted, NO FRONT BRAKE, clutch cable connected to non-locking handlebar lever, and that's just everything I can think of.

Sorry for coming on your thread ****ing and moaning. Its just frustrating dealing with things like that.

I know how you feel BB, a lot of different MB's come through here for repairs.

Some had no business ever being made the way they were, let alone put up for sale for $200-$300 saying "it only needs this...".
Pfftt..

I take the time to explain to the person what they bought, what is needed, and why sometimes just something new with a few bucks off for what they bought is best for them.

I have a boneyard for such things I take in.
My mechanic buddy Cole loves the boneyard, he has put MB's together for himself from it on his own time at home.

I am pleased to see an increase in the number of pretty well made bikes come in for minor stuff though.
That means other local builders have raised their own build quality bars.
Sure, more competition for me, but a huge gain in safety for the whole motorized bicycle community.

Back