4-stroke = more torque?

iwasgandhi

Local time
5:06 PM
The Honda GX35 4-stroke (with 1.6 hp) has 37.5% less horse-power than than the Tanaka PF-4000 2-stroke (with 2.2 hp), but does that mean it also has less torque for climbing long, steep hills at lower speeds?

I ask becaue I'm trying to decide between the two engines for a Staton-inc axle mounted kit which I plan to purchase next week. I used to own a Staton axle kit with a Honda GX35 on it, but I wasn't satisfied with the torque for the hills in my area, even when gearing my kit for the slowest speed/most torque.

A larger 4-stroke, such as the Honda GX50 is not an option for me. There are various reasons for that, but that's another story.

I've read on motoredbikes.com that some people think that a 4-stroke, such as the Honda, generally has more low-end torque than a 2-stroke. Is that true and, if so, is it true for these two engines in particular?

Thanks for any info and insights. :D

In general, 4 strokes make torque and 2 strokes make horsepower.
In general, 2 strokes rev higher.
In general, 4 strokes use less fuel per mile.
However, four strokes can be tuned for high rpm and two strokes can be tuned for more torque if you are willing to spend enough money.

In general, 4 strokes make torque and 2 strokes make horsepower.
[However...], four strokes can be tuned for high rpm and two strokes can be tuned for more torque if you are willing to spend enough money.

I agree.

My Chinese 2-stroke centre mount engine gives a surprising amount of torque with a reed valve intake system; fighting strongly all the way down to 2,200 rpm and will pull down to 1,600 rpm, with the engine stalling at 1,500 rpm; all at wide open throttle.

Without the reed valve system, the engine is dead in the water at anything below 3,000 rpm

OP Staton sells a mits 43cc clone that will work with your axle kit, might check it out. It's priced right too.

torque=(horsepowerx5252)/RPM

4 strokes have a more linear power/RPM graph than 2 strokes but generally speaking a 4 stroke has the same peak power as a two stroke with half the engine size.
But 2 strokes can be modified much more than a 4 stroke for whatever you want it to do. You are pretty much stuck with the stock package when you buy a 4 stroke.

The Honda GX35 4-stroke (with 1.6 hp) has 37.5% less horse-power than than the Tanaka PF-4000 2-stroke (with 2.2 hp), but does that mean it also has less torque for climbing long, steep hills at lower speeds?

I ask becaue I'm trying to decide between the two engines for a Staton-inc axle mounted kit which I plan to purchase next week. I used to own a Staton axle kit with a Honda GX35 on it, but I wasn't satisfied with the torque for the hills in my area, even when gearing my kit for the slowest speed/most torque.

A larger 4-stroke, such as the Honda GX50 is not an option for me. There are various reasons for that, but that's another story.

I've read on motoredbikes.com that some people think that a 4-stroke, such as the Honda, generally has more low-end torque than a 2-stroke. Is that true and, if so, is it true for these two engines in particular?

Thanks for any info and insights. :D
ADD AN OCTANE BOOSTER< IT HELPS>> MUCH MORE TORQUE< BUT GETS HOTTER<< MUCH BETTER POWER..RACE GAS IS EVEN BETTER IF U CAN GET IT 1o5 octane rocks..

an octane booster really helps, but bad for carb gaskets. melts em. but u get 30 % beter mpg too way higher torque for hills pick up on throttle

go to Google images and look up dynos and take note of how the curves of 2 and 4 strokes vary.
4 strokes have a fairly linear power graph till peak power whereas 2 strokes have more of a logarithmic graph which shows how weak they are at low RPM

ADD AN OCTANE BOOSTER< IT HELPS>> MUCH MORE TORQUE< BUT GETS HOTTER<< MUCH BETTER POWER..RACE GAS IS EVEN BETTER IF U CAN GET IT 1o5 octane rocks..

The higher the octane the slower the burn so it produces less heat and power. You only use higher octane when compression is increased or anything else that may cause predetonation. The lower power is acceptable because the other option is a blown engine. You sir, are backwards...

Back