4-stroke running in

Never understood the logic of spending twice as much on the oil, then keeping it in your crackcase so long. Yes, it will hold up, but think of all that filth in there. I mean, while it's synthetic, and can last longer, do you really want that ? How is that good ?
Amsoil at 3000 miles is dirty. I would never leave it in there an additional 4500 miles like they say you can.
It's true.. there's no benefit to using synthetic if you don't let it break down naturally & continue to use it longer, since that's the whole purpose behind synthetics -- better protection & longer use, which leads to no money lost . But of course, you're supposed to change your oil filter at the same interval you would with regular oil. For example, in my car, I change the filter every 3 to 4 thousand miles & top off the oil. I only completely drain the oil every other filter change.

My '94 Corolla runs great with 240,000 miles on it. Have been doing this synthetic process since i got it with 150,000 on it, and the engine sounds just as good as the day I bought it. I also don't have a hood on her, just water gasket sealant around the plug wires & distributor cap. But I don't suggest you do this if you care about your ride... I'm purposely trying to see how much damage this car can take. I also rarely drive below 90-100mph on the interstate, but of course this is for testing the synthetic.

Anyway, I still have a 2-stroke on my bike, so all of this is under the assumption that the GXH50 has an oil filter obviously.

In summary... Yes, it is a waste to buy synthetic & completely drain at regular intervals... it's a lose-lose situation. And sure you can use blend, but what's the purpose? I highly doubt a corporation would give you the amount of synthetic you think you're getting. You know the saying... You get what you pay for!

im not sure if my gxh50 engine has an oil filter...it never told me in the manual about one, i would assume its just a simple crankcase like the rest of them but is there one? im also wondering if i should use synthetic oil for break in, since i plan on babying my bike and only feeding it the best i plan on changing the oil every week or so with Maxima530MX 100% ester-based synthetic 4-cycle oil, i think it'd b real good for my engine and i would rather spend $10 per quart than $5 on a bottle of NAPA oil...what should i do? i want my engine to run the best for thousands of miles with good power. and im also wondering... what kind of oil should i use in the crankcase?

thanks,

Jon

If it's not in the manual... there prolly isn't one. I just assumed there was a filter, because that's how larger 4-strokes are designed.

Most of your other questions are already answered in this thread. Use conventional oil for break-in of 7hrs. After that, switch to synthetic & you should be able to go a bit longer than a week before you need to change the oil. I'd say 30hrs of runtime (give or take 10hrs) with synthetic is what you need watch more than how long it's been since your last oil change (unless, of course, it's been months). Specific brands are nothing but personal choices. You are more than welcome to research that for yourself and tell us what you chose.

I have been told that..

I have been told that if you use Synthetic oil in a new engine, that the engine will not wear or "break in". I was told that you need to use a Dino oil for break in. Switch to a Synthetic after break in. As for oil filters, there are none for the smaller 4 strokes. Not really needed. There is not much oil to filter for these small 4 strokes. On my Titan 4 stroke, I am running it and abusing it. I want to see how much abuse it can take. Worst case kind of thing. It is my test engine. so..I want to see what it can take. So.. I have not changed my oil yet. IT has a lot of miles on it with the break in oil Val 10-30 conventional. I am running 2 Titans currently. This particular one has around 750 miles on it with the original 10-30 motor oil in it. It is just now turning a darker color. But still looks good. I Think I will run it another 500 miles or so and then change it .. Maybe. I am trying to Abuse the motor to see what it can take. It bothers me to treat it so badly.. But.. Some people will treat them bad.. So.. I need to know if they can take it. And..So far.. IT can take it.. Has not missed a beat. At any rate. That has been my take. Dino Oil for Break in. Syn after break in. As a rule of thumb, do not go over 20mph for the first 300 miles or so. Enjoy the ride..:D

That's the problem with numbers & statistics... everybody's got their own.

There are certain concepts that are pretty much set in stone: use dino for break in, use synthetic afterwards, don't go full throttle for X amount of miles, etc.

How long you break it in, how long you go without changing your oil... well, that's all up to you. I feel as if an engine isn't broken in within 150 to 200 miles... you got screwed. Dax might be trying to cover his arse, but... the answers to duration all lie within you & your research. If you're not researching, then it's obvious you don't care about your engine.

The GXH50 does not have an oil filter. It is splash lubricated and therefore has no oil pump. It is difficult, if not impossible to have an oil filter in a system that is not pressurized because there is no mechanism for forcing the oil through the filter.

Earlier, someone said something about turning the engine upside down to change oil. The GXH50 does not have to be turned upside down to drain the oil. It has a drain plug.

I have heard that the concerns about synthetic are overblown and that an engine will break in on synthetic- several new higher end cars come new with synthetic. That being said, regular oil changes negates most of the benefits of synthetic.

okokok, lol when my engine comes in the mail, to i just put oil i9n the ENGINE and go? or do i gotta put it somplace else also??? pics of plugs would be awesome. ive only worked on b&s and tecumpseh. no hondas. thanks!.

Just in the crankcase.

Attachments

• drain plug.JPG
    drain plug.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 267
  • gxh50-drain.GIF
    gxh50-drain.GIF
    3 KB · Views: 231
You can also buy oil/gas siphon pumps from automotive stores and even the wallyworld auto section real cheap if your engine doesn't have an accessible drain plug.

Back