Tubes 40 miles to my first flat tire! Discouraging!

Dude. 40 pounds is TOO MUCH!

35 AT THE MOST!!

30 is PERFECTLY OKAY for me and Cronus runs 2.25 tires too.

Now my front tire went flat today too and it was at the valve stem but no problems.

Actually it would still have been inflated if it was a gel tube.

I'm glad your giving this a shot,Mark. Once you get it,your problems will stop.

If your rims are perfectly true maybe you could run to Wal Mart and get the thinner tires to go with the NoMoreFlats solid tubes. It's okay only if your rims are PERFECTLY true otherwise your gonna feel EVERY imperfection. Air is definitely smoother but no air means never another flat.
It's all a trade off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, I've got a beach cruiser that I got with a crappytime from SpookyTooth. Rode it about 150 miles. Had trouble with the engine, which Spooky wanted to help with, but I just got fed up with the fix-it daily routine. I have 2.125 balloon tires on it and never had a problem. There's really something amiss there someplace. Can't put my finger on it, but the bikes OK, could be a burr in the rim or something. But don't give up Man, Stay the course. For just a fraction of the money you would spend on a scooter you can get new wheels.

Large - the tire says 40-65 lbs on it.

I will go to Wally world and pick up some kevlar 26" comfort tires which are a bitsmaller and give it another shot. Also the extra thick Slime tubes if they have them.

Interesting that the Shwinn self sealing tubes don't self seal...and the tire easily comes off the rim when it's flat..

OK, I'll see what I can see... :)
Mark

My tires say that too,but it's designed for a PEDAL BICYCLE. Lowering the pressure would make pedaling harder. The higher the pressure the less rolling resistance. But with a motor HEAT plays on the tube and the slime that's in the tube! That's a recipe for a tube explosion. I could be dead wrong here. But I do know I haven't blown up a slime tube after that first one just by dropping the pressure.
Dropping my pressure to me made all the difference.
Both my wheels are slime tubed now,and a new spare in my tool pouch. Both at 30 psi. 30 psi is plenty stiff,for me anyway.

I respectfully disagree Large. It seems to me that if you run the tube at a lower pressure there is less pressure pushing the tire against the rim. This seems to be Marks problem.

"Looks like the tube moved, because the stem was cocked over to a 45 degree angle. Wouldn't take air - so I think it broke".

I would think he needs to increase the pressure so that the tire and tube don't slip. I am not familiar with slime tubes and am speaking about a regular bicycle tube. Maybe getting slime tubes will solve the problem, but it seems like the tire and tube are not "seating" on the rims... Just a thought.....

Hi Guys,
So I took a ride to Wally-world...first I see that they have restocked 26" slime tubes (3)...I picked up those, then a set of Kevlar 26" comfort tires which are 26x1.95 (smaller than the tires I have now)...and on my way to look at the bike-goodies, I noticed 2 boxes of Bell No-More-Flats. Hmmmmm....air, or no air....well, no air won't ever leak, so I grabbed them and put the Slime Tubes back...they also had Bell competitive tubes with the slime...really thick, self sealing, which I would have bought last time, but ended up stuck with the Schwinn tubes. (Wasn't there a time in my childhood where nothing could touch Schwinn products??? Now they are in Walmart...that's a bit sad.)

Anyway, I'm draining the fuel out now so I can flip her over....Looks like you need a bit of a wrestle to get these on, but I'm up for the challenge! Lot's of soapy water it says...

BUT I'M RIDING MY BIKE TO WORK TOMORROW!

Wish me luck! If this works, all I will need to do is change the front forks for some springers, and I'm done!

Thanks for the help, and the PM's too.
Mark

PS. I'll let you know tomorrow when I get to work how it was...

I respectfully disagree Large. It seems to me that if you run the tube at a lower pressure there is less pressure pushing the tire against the rim. This seems to be Marks problem.

"Looks like the tube moved, because the stem was cocked over to a 45 degree angle. Wouldn't take air - so I think it broke".

I would think he needs to increase the pressure so that the tire and tube don't slip. I am not familiar with slime tubes and am speaking about a regular bicycle tube. Maybe getting slime tubes will solve the problem, but it seems like the tire and tube are not "seating" on the rims... Just a thought.....

That makes a lot of sense. Could be that's what happened with my front tire today. It was at 30 PSI,was the original tube,and it leaked from the stem....does sound like it slipped.
But with the slime,high pressure makes them explode! This is first hand experience. KABOOM!!!
I would summarize drop pressure if you have slime,follow tire recommendations without slime,so the winner would be no slime thick tube and tough liners,good strong pressure.

Mark,I still have my NoMoreFlats tube up front on my Happy Time bike. That rim is true so no problems. I'm sure you'll have miles of flat-less rides now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope so!
I just finished draining the tank...I'll do the tires in the AM. If it's a rough ride. I'll leave it up front, and get the slime for the rear with lower air pressure. Go from there..

Cya
Mark

Do they make rim locks for bikes? That was what it took on my trail bikes to keep from pulling the stem out of the tube when hitting the brakes hard. They look like a second valve stem and are on the opposite side from the stem. They are a smooth curved plate with the "stem" that locks the tire beads into the rim when the nut on the outside is tightened. They also keep the tire on the rim when the tube goes goes flat. I also ruined a tube on the 10" tires on our electric scooters we use for camping. Low tire and the tire slipped. Jim

Back