415 chain MASTER LINK

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by blackmikeybikey, Sep 10, 2007.

1. I would like to get some extra 415 " master - links. I went to some Jobbers today they all told me that this is not a normal size chain width. I know I can buy the chain but don't need one.
    help would be great/ thanks

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

3. thanks !!

Thanks just what I has looking for .:grin:
  4. Fishinglie

Fishinglie Guest

Anybody know where i can order one to get it by the weekend?
  5. azbill

azbill Active Member

try lowes or a motorcycle/offroad shop (atv)
  6. adamtheha

adamtheha Member

I went hunting all over the big city (Calgary) looking for a 415 chain or master links. I tried a 420 size, which DID NOT fit, although it should have. I swallowed my pride and paid $36 to have a few master links shipped from BC express courier. If you do buy master links, buy a bunch to make it worth while. Not one bike shop had one big enough, and not one motorcycle shop had one small enough! I would advise anyone to buy extra chains and links. Use a derailler sprocket on the idle pulley instead of that cheap plastic piece of crud. Just mount it on a 5/16 x 1 1/2 bolt with a smooth bit at the top, and bolt on, works like a shot!
  7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Try #41. Any decent hardware store will have them.
  8. davidsis

davidsis Guest

So an #41 master link works on our chains?
  9. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I use the whole #41 chain, but I've been told by people using the 415 that the #41 mater link works well.
  10. chuck1980

chuck1980 Member

I bought two #41 master links at my local tractor supply. They are not the right size for 415 chain. The pins are slightly too long. 415 is really an odd size and is very hard to find. The #41s cost me $1 each but the online dealers that sell the 415 master link charge $4 or more.
  11. The only difference between #415 and #41 is that it is wider. It is a stronger chain, quieter, and more readliy avail.
  12. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

The #41 link is wider than the #415, it's true.

But what you do is use two of the figure eight shaped "side links". (I wonder what they are really called?) this takes up almost all of the slack.
  13. I believe they are called side plates...Glad you got it going.
  14. KiDD

KiDD Member

So where can I buy them from other than DAX? He is sold out and all I have right now is a bicycle retaining clip on there.
  15. spunout

spunout Member

go to a motorsports (go-karts, atv's, etc) store, and get a master link for a #41 chain. i'm fairly certain it will work. #41's have the same pitch, just wider. if all you need is the retaining clip, width wont matter
  16. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I've replaced my stock chain with #41 chain from Tractor Supply. It's great. Good chain, drive feels fine.

I think it was 14.95 and it included a master link.

Definitely good stuff.
  17. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

i bought 10 ft. of 41 chain at tractor supply, also a pack of 4 master links about 4.00, & a pack of 4 half links, also about 4.00 . that is enough to make 2 full chains. i do replace the tiny cotter pin, on the half link with a larger single pin. but for about 20 dollars, not bad. also i noticed the 41 master link was a little to big to go through the holes in the 415 chain. i thought i read where they would interchange?
  18. spunout

spunout Member

true. although because it is wider, don't be surprised (or frightened) when you hear a grinding noise coming from the motor your first time out. that happened to me and i freaked, until i saw it was just chain rubbing on casing. quieted down after a few miles.
  19. KiDD

KiDD Member

I heard some standard BMX chains fit. So which chain should I be looking for? I found this website that sells chains and stuff. http://www.moto-chains.com/ But on their master link ;page they have 2 different 415 master links http://www.moto-chains.com/site/898528/product/mstr Now I have no clue what the difference between a "did 415 ER 9705" or a "ek 415 SHD 5648" master link. I would rather just replace the chain with one of the more standard BMX chains.
  20. 1/8" single speed cruiser bike chain and master links. Same as 415 chain.

walmart 1/8" chain with master link $7 or chain breaker with 1/8" master link $5.

I have 415 chain and added some 1/8" links to it and its been working over 1,000miles and it is the same size, i should know cause thats what im using.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010