42 Second Engine Change

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fabian, May 17, 2013.

1. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. professor

professor Active Member

Something seem bogus here Fabian. Do you agree?

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Of course they are taking short cuts, like not connecting up the cooling system and quite possibly not installing all of the engine mount bolts and bonnet bolts and exhaust system, but even so, a proper engine change wouldn't take more than 3 minutes with 5 men working on the job; coupled with their impressive team coordination.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  4. professor

professor Active Member

I figure it took a lot of thinking and changing stuff before hand to pull it off, like-
    No fuel lines to engine and enough gas in the carb to go the hundred feet or so.
    Quick disconnects on clutch, ign and driveshafts.
    Transmission already in first gear/ no linkage attached.
    No engine mount bolts- it (and transaxle) sits in cradle type mounts. Engine lifter devise with quick connect attachment.

I have to give the boys an A for creativity. And an F for value.

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I'd give it an "A" for creativity and an "A" for value.

2 weeks of non stop practicing to get it down to 42 seconds is still an impressive feat.

6. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

Anyone up for a timed contest of removing a Grubee engine?
    How long does it take you to remove the piston from a fully intact setup?

7. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Shouldn't take you any more than 3 minutes to remove a piston from an intact Chinese bicycle engine. Assembly would take around 10 minutes (with a power screw driver), assuming the base gasket is easily removed from the case or the cylinder.

At a leisurely pace you could install a new piston and have the engine running within 30 minutes.

I can have an engine (previously removed from bicycle frame) stripped down and rebuilt with new crank seals, crankshaft, bearings, cylinder, piston and rings in 2 hours, but i have my own case separation and reassembly jig as well as a bearing removal and installation tool.

8. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

I just removed the piston in 4 minutes 45 seconds. Would of gone faster but the nuts had a lot of loctite on them and I couldn't spin them off with my fingers once loosened.

9. joshua97

joshua97 Member

full top end in 16 minutes :)

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

That's why i am such a fan of 2-strokes :banana:

11. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Think of a pit crew at a nascar race, those folks getherdone.

12. joshua97

joshua97 Member

and the huasheng 4 stroke was about 4 hours haha