48cc Trail Rider One muddy bike!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tonyman246, Mar 11, 2008.

1. tonyman246

tonyman246 New Member

Hello everybody! New to the site and fairly new to the motorized bicycling. My love for riding bikes has skyrocketed since i bought a 48cc engine off ebay. My other toys have been put to the side since i built my bike and i dont care because its soo much fun.

But i have one problem. I dont see many people using the motored bikes off-road. maybe i just havent looked into the site enough.

Any other offroaders our there?

I will have pics of my muddy bike soon!!

2. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Put a 168 tooth sprocket on and let it rip!
  3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Welcome tony to MBc.
  4. graucho

graucho Active Member

Welcome to MBc! Home of many answers, and awaiting your ideas.
  5. Hollywood

Hollywood Guest

Welcome to MBc. Tony !!!
  6. mickey

mickey Guest

Welcome aboard, Tony.
  7. mean lean

mean lean Member

always looking for dirt singletrack!!
  8. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I know these bikes don't like loose sand. IMHO I think our drive trains like some sort of consistancy in the road surface, if that makes sense. Seems you'd be working your clutch quite a bit on rough terrain. I'm sure someone's done it though.
    Welcome to MBc, i look forward to your findings.
  9. nik

nik Member

you would have to secure that sucker good. im sure it would be fun, while it lasted! lol

i like to cruise around, you would need a dirt bike for serious jumps i think. Ill be glad to see the videos! peace...
  10. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D
  11. mshagg

mshagg New Member

Welcome aboard tonyman. Look forward to seeing some mudcaked motoredbike action... and any tips you've got for helping the setup handle the rough stuff!
  12. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc.
  13. tonyman246

tonyman246 New Member

ahh rooster tails!

hey everyone thanks for the welcome.

good news though, a 56 tooth sprocket is coming to replace my 44 tooth so im going to have plenty of pulling power now. it will complete my "cheap dirt bike project" well, that is until i find somthing else i want on the bike. maybe fenders would be nice.

i have to say the 48cc 2-stroke ebay kits work awesome for off-road trail riding due to the chain and sprocket set up. im just going to put more chain rollers and a better tensioner on so i dont have any chain issues. the motor seems very solid and ive never had a problem with it. (loctite everything is the key)

i have to say.. its pretty cool to ride a bicycle up hill and had a rooster tail blasting mud behind me!
  14. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Welcome!! Glad you're here.
  15. Welcome Tony

Well let me know your progress, since that's the direction I wanted to go next with my next bike. I have been thinking about a few different approaches, one of them is to use only one chain to the wheel and have an internal hub with gears mounted on the frame. This way the chain would not come loose with a rear suspension type bike(needed for serious off-road) as is the case with the current set-up with two chains going in different directions(one up to the engine and one down to the pedals).
  16. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Definitely start an off road thread or something in the picture gallery. When the kids and I go on Vacation this summer in Colorado, I want to take my bike, but only if I know it will withstand the rougher mountain roads.
    Have fun an be safe.
    When you were a kid did you ever ride your bmx bike in a cement drainage/creek with a little amount of water and lots of slimy green moss? That green stuff on the back of my shirts used to tick my mom off pretty bad. LOL
  17. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Welcome Tony

18. Demosthenese

Demosthenese Guest

that's awesome that you are pursuing true offroad status for your mtb! You're being a pioneer i think.

19. quay1962

quay1962 Guest

welcome to MBc and good luck on your endeavors...
  20. feelinright

feelinright New Member

Hey yeah I've got and engine on a hardtail mtb. Having loads of fun too. I have not jumped it much but it does off road just fine. When I feel like jumping and doing 360's and such I'll stick to bmx but I built this motored mtb for the long hilly forest trails. Good luck riding!!