49cc two stroke wont start

vegar980

Local time
8:23 AM
Hi.
i just bought a gokart and got a non-starting pocketbike (http://cygroup.en.ec21.com/print_offer_detail.jsp?offer_id=OF0000416972) for free in the purchase. the motor is an two stroke 49cc. I am trying to make the bike start (I am a big noob), it is a spark and fuel. the spark plug is wet when i take it out, so do you guys have any idea whats wrong?
please reply! i will try to awnser most questions!

best regards Vegar

First, Go to the introduce yourself section and say Hi to everyone. It's the polite thing to do. And KINDA required.
THEN, Change the plug. Even if it looks like yer getting spark it may be weak. I'm running a couple goped engines, Kinda like what you have, and an old plug will give you fits. It MIGHT start, then stop, then start again and run for 2 seconds, then quit again. Or it wont start at all. So If it's got the old plug that came with it, Change it. Try to use a NGK equivalent. If that's not it get back to us.
Big Red.

Hey Blue, I've seen more than a few of these over the years and it's just a standard 49cc (or 33cc?) pit bike 2 stroke. One of the cheapie chinese ones I'm sure. But whatever it is, a 2 stroke is a 2 stroke, Especially a cheap chinese 2 stroke. It may have the mounts in different places but all 2 strokes operate in a similar manner. A pit bike 2 stroke or a goped 2 stroke, They are all pretty much the same. They drive from the wrong side to mount on a bike, Not without a jackshaft anyway, I know, I've tried. But a picture couldn't hurt.
Big Red.

IMG_1197[1].jpgIMG_1192[1].jpg IMG_1196[1].jpg IMG_1193[1].jpg
here are some photos, one if of the logo of the motor, I cant find the name of the brand though.
sorry for the bad photos, i used an ipod.

Well, One picture came out well enough to see anyway.
It looks like you have a starter motor on it. Electric start is always better than trying to pull start a hard to start engine.
So, Like I said, Try putting in a new spark plug. Then, Get a 12V battery and hook it to the motor. Hot to the connection on the starter motor, ground to almost anywhere on the bike thats metal. Carefull, as soon as you touch the ground wire the starter is gonna kick off. BE VERY CAREFULL. If you use a car battery you can't hold the motor on for more than 5 or 6 seconds at a time. there are too many amps in a car battery and it makes the thing get hot pretty fast. but it WILL work. I know, before my battery order came in I was using a half run down old car battery to start one of mine. IF USING A CAR BATTERY, Try it 2 or 3 times then let it cool down for a few minutes. It's best to use a motorcycle battery, But the same still apply's. You can just run it 4 or 5 times for 6 or 8 seconds at a time. It will still overheat, just not as quick with a lesser amp battery.
Old 2 strokes are notoriously hard to start. The starter motor should make it easier.
CHANGE THE SPARK PLUG, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FRESH FUEL MIX. START WITH CHOKE ON.
Big Red.
PS, I didn't ask. If the starter is already hooked up just ignore all the starter crap.

Back