4G Huffy Cranbrook

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by recumbentbill, Apr 13, 2010.

1. My Cranbrook is now 4G equipped. Originally had a 56t sprocket which climbed good but slow. Now the cranbrook has a 48t. Still climbs good and top speed is almost 29mph. Bike does what i want it to. 200+ trouble free miles since the installation of the 4G. The Grubee HD axle is great. I have a manic mechanic worksman wheel [11gauge] with the manic sprocket adapter that is on the way. At last a dependable motoredbike.

Attached Files:

2. Wheres my dog

Wheres my dog Banned

Very nice clean build you have....

That Cranbrook.... the choice of many many many a build!

3. Thanks

4. 4G Huffy Cranbrook with poo poo pipe

pipe nas been collecting dust.would not work with the one piece wide crank but works fine with the three piece wide crank. Waiting for the high temp rtv to cure:helmet:

Attached Files:

5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I'm digging the thumper motor and your choice of brakes.

6. wog383

wog383 New Member

How is the sound compared to the previous exhaust?
    Is there a power gain or loss? I read somewhere that there is a slight power loss as it's not a tuned length item.

7. wog383

wog383 New Member

Is the chain tensioner sprocket the 11t of the 4g drive , the small one that drives the chain?

8. Neon

Neon Member

Indeed nice bike. And thanks for the info on the 4G system. I had heard different things about them and didn't know if they were reliable or not. Has helped me make a choice of what my next project will be.

9. wog383

wog383 New Member

I have a grubee cruiser with the hua sheng 4 stroke with the 4G belt drive and a 44t rear sprocket with sik bike parts air filter. This is the most reliable bike I have ever had after owning a few 70cc 2 stroke.
    In summer, iit handles the heat extremely well. You fill up in the crankcase just like the lawnmower. It has a centrifigual clutch that never slips, plus it's a auto clutch. The bores I been told is made of steel so it ain't gonna warp easy under heat like the 2 stroke. So far it has done nearly 4,000kms in the 12 months I have had it. Plus I ride it hard too.
    No more mixing fuel and oil plus fuel economy is twice better.
    Just regular oil change and checking the 4G belt tension is all it needs.

10. Neon

Neon Member

How is the 44T sprocket for acceleration? Really the only bad thing i've heard about the 4G is that the bearings were weak on the output shaft, and the belt cover could fall off easily. But that was almost a year ago now that i heard that

11. wog383

wog383 New Member

For acceleration, she is great, hits up to 31 MPH easily and sometimes can hit up to 34 MPH on the flat with no head wind. Take off is a little bog down if taking off from standstill with no pedalling at all but nothing major.
    The 4G belt drive is great. Belt cannot slip off unless excessively loose. Too tight and it will snap. Just add 4mm slack in middle off belt with firm thumb pressure, similar to timing belt.
    As for bearings, I never had a problem, I just replaced the 11 tooth free wheel that drives the chain after 3000 kms as it had excessive side play and was noisy.
    The bellhousing that the clutch grabs onto snapped at the weld was poorly welded, more like tacked on in two places so I ran a mig all around without warping it.

12. wog383

wog383 New Member

As for the belt cover, I put locktite on the screws and it never comes undone.

13. ToxicAZ520

ToxicAZ520 New Member

Thats nice I like it. I really want to place a front shock on my Cranbrook as well so it's not so bumpy. How much dose the shock help?

14. Shock helps a lot

15. wog383

wog383 New Member

yeah, you need front shocks when going fast. I had a 2 stroke before the bike I have now and I used to get sore wrists after 20 mins due to the harshness. Front shock is a must have.

16. atomichurley

atomichurley Member

Nice Build there buddy i wanna build a four stroke kit soon