$5 Home Depot headlight revisited

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Sgt. Howard, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Turns out I was useing the wrong solder to fasten the wires- still not a blinding torch, but good enough to see what you are doing-
    you might have to enlarge the photos to get the instructions

Attached Files:

2. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

continued...

Cutting the endcap is tricky without a lath, but it can be done. Inside the cap there is a ridge where the pipe has to stop- you want at least 1" width between the ridge and the cut. If you measure, mark and cut by hand, keep turning the cap in your vice so that you are constantly cutting the marked surface... harder to go askew that way. Cut a bit long, then lay so 80 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and work the cut edge against it to get smooth. Once you have that where you want it, cut the slot for the switch plate

Attached Files:

3. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

e viola!

Here is the finished product prior to wireing- next semblage will discuss the particulars about wireing so that the switch controlls the head and tail light

Attached Files:

4. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

I knew ya had to be close to a finished porduct by now Sarge. Lookin good.
    I was reading a thread on the other site where the guy was trying to use a regular small 6V bulb for his light. I informed him that it MIGHT work, How I used to do it that way too. And that it just doesn't work very well. I'll give him this link so he can see how it's really done.
    Big Red.

5. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Next step

Here we go- wireing. Next set of upcoming photos will show it on the bike, PLUS show how to put together a CHEAP bridge rectifier that will allow the white wire to do the job.... complete with source and shopping list for ALL componants to do brake, tail, turn etc. at pennies on the pound! Ought to have that this weekend. Big Red, take note-you might be my market for the headlights where you are.

Attached Files:

6. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Thats a 10-4 Sarge, No problem. The only thing is, I'm probably gonna try to stuff it into a chrome bullet headlight. The fake chrome plastic housings should work just fine and look great.
    Big Red.

7. Racie35

Racie35 Member

what fake chrome bullet housing?

8. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

This one. it's non conductive. If a wire touches inside it's not gonna short the whole system. And they're cheaper then the real thing and look cool. I suppose you could use any housing if ya prefer a certain one. I just think plastic is a little safer when dealing with the vibration of a 2 stroke. Ever had ANYTHING vibrate loose on your bike?

****, I TRIED to show ya one. just looked and all I see are the metal housings.(like this,) Maybe they don't make em anymore, sorry.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RETRO-BICYC...548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48490eb38c

9. Racie35

Racie35 Member

ok...thanks for trying! that looks like a decent light for the money too though

10. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

I wrote CR*P and got bleeped. They let ya say CR*P on the other site. I guess they don't let ya say CR*P on this site.

11. Racie35

Racie35 Member

some programs used for forums can be set to notice common curses and not allow it.....I know because I run one for another hobby of mine...bots I havent figured out yet though,,,,real pains

12. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Yeah, I kinda figured thats how they did it, But c'mon, CR*P or CR*PPY? what if it really is a CR*PPY part yer talking about? I think you can say POO POO, Which is about the same thing. It's not like I was saying S**t or S**TY or other REAL 4 letter words. I think the staff could let up the restriction on CR*P and the world would still turn. But then, I ain't runnin nothin am I. And PLEASE staff, Don't get me wrong, I think yer doin a great job considering what ya gotta put up with. But c'mon, CR*P?
    fatdaddy.

13. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

WHOOPS!!!! the photo showing the wireing labels the red wire as "BRAKE"... that should be "TAIL"... brake is a seperate circut- my error

14. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

BTW, I use "politically correct" instead of the common four-letter Anglo-Saxon referances... means pretty much the same thing...
    the Old Sgt.

15. graucho

graucho Active Member

Thanks for taking the time to show your bike light set up. Looks like a fun, useful project. Great job Sgt.

16. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

Point taken, it's not really a swear word hey. I've eased up on crap for ya.

Now back to this thread.... excellent head light project and description! I will sticky this thread to the top.

17. littletinman

littletinman Member

Can't wait to see how this works! Been looking for a good white wire headlight for a few weeks. This may be it!

18. littletinman

littletinman Member

I just picked up materials to make two of these on my lunch break. I'm planning to just do a headlight for now. What parts are needed for the rectifier? I'm hoping to assemble at least one light tonight, and be ready for rectifier instructions by Saturday. I can't wait!

I did notice that these lights aren't super bright, but it's daytime so I'll have to wait until dark to really get a handle on it.

19. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Thanks Anton. Now like ya said, back to the thread.

20. littletinman

littletinman Member

I did it! I used this for the light (looks slightly different) and added a rectifier based off a tutorial on the other forum. I will be testing it out on the bike tomorrow. For now it's been tested with batteries and mounted on the bike.

photo (1).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    photo.jpg