5 speed suicide shifter

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by hybrid, Oct 11, 2010.

1. hybrid

hybrid Member

Picking this up on Friday. Anyone here have an inkling about how I would
    go about integrating manual shifting once the motor is mounted?

Attached Files:

2. ocscully

ocscully Member

If what you are asking is how to run your motor thru your rear deraillier and cogs? You need to look into a Sick Bike Parts Shift Kit. Installing a motor and driving a sprocket on the left side of your rear wheel should have no effect on the shifting.

3. hybrid

hybrid Member

4. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

yeah with a standard left-side motor-drive set up, you can shift the bike like normal, but the shifting is under pedal power only. The Sick Bike Parts shifter kit will turn a bike's shifting setup into a multi-speed "transmission".
  5. hybrid

hybrid Member

Thanks Baron - Yeah, I figured it was "do-able", just wasn't sure where to even begin. Thanks for the point in the right direction.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  6. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

whatever my "next bike" is going to be, it's going to include the SBP shift kit. I could put it on my existing bike as it is a 7 speed, but at some point I am going to sell this one and "start over"... steel frame instead of aluminum, more custom work, bunch of other things now that I know more than I did when I started this one... but the shift kit will be an absolute addition...
  7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Using a shift kit allows you to transmit much more power on demand, if the gear matches the speed. This is especially useful if using an engine which produces torque in a limited power range. JMO, besides the NuVinci hub, the shift kit it is the key to effectively harnessing the 4.2hp GP460 engine.

The shift kit.....the greatest invention for motorized bicycles.:bowdown:

Thanks, Sick Bike Parts, for shift kit parts.:devilish:
  8. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

How does the shift kit not force the pedals to move (rotate) also which would force you to remove your feet from them?
    Is there a freewheel sprocket on the kit to replace one of the cranks sprockets?
  9. azbill

azbill Active Member

exactly !!!
    the bike crank has a freewheel :)
    Sick Bike Parts (a sponsor here) has the original, and best quality, shift kit :cool:
  10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

SBP offers 5-hole freewheel mechanisms and chainring/sprockets that use bike chains.

There is also 4-bolt freewheel mechanisms that use 8mm chainrings/sprockets. The advantage to this T8F style is that the links are closer. A 72-tooth 8mm sprocket is the same size as a 44-tooth bikechain sprocket, hence makes it easier to produce a lower gear ratio.:detective: