50 cc engine, maximum riding hours it can bear?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tauseef, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Tauseef

Tauseef Member

Hey,its good to know through the forum that people have gone to over 150+miles on motorized bicycles, but none havementioned their engine cc
    Mine is a 50 cc engine.
    And i plan to ride 60 miles/100km , at 25 km/hr average speed. It will make 4 hrs journey with few 10 min stops.
    Is there any chance of engine getting too heatup?

2. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a 2 stroke HT engine? I've went 50 miles almost non stop full throttle (Only reason I stopped was because I dropped my phone lol) idk if it was hotter than it was supposed to be but ran good.....

Just keep going at a decent speed 20-30mph and it should keep cool (they are air cooled if you didn't know)

I road almost all day at a very large car show at about running speed and that motor went shot:)
    I was giving that thing hell though, racing stretched mopeds, everyone yelling to revv it up;) , and I eventually got a peice of an old piston ring that I broke in the engine somehow :D
    She locked up and melted the old ring to the side of the crank and melted the crank to the bottom end lol

Tauseef likes this.
  3. Tauseef

Tauseef Member

Haha ......People say a lot, rev it up, rev it up :-D

Yup , 2 stroke HT it is !

Well i havent dared to rev it up to maximum yet , i have driven it to max 25mph ! And with its air cooling as u say then i agree it will go on and on at reasonable speed!

4. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

why not buy a gauge to know how hot your engine is getting? (JNMotors has a good cheap one)
    the goal is to keep the temp below 425 degrees F.

FurryOnTheInside likes this.
  5. Frankfort MB's

425???? Are you serious? That's crazy high

6. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

that's the point at which the aluminum weakens and it can distort to allow a head leak or it can crack to allow a big head leak.
    It's not hard for a air cooled 2 stroke to get that hot. These are the factors that contribute to high head temps:
    1) high compression
    2) lean jetting
    3) advanced ignition (which is what the stock ignition provides)
    4) a head with a squish band (because with those the head gets hotter and the piston gets cooler)

7. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

Would Frankfort MBs' engine have seized by heating too fast/ suddenly? ie Piston expansion?
    Is there a _minimum_ head temp gauge reading before WOT use is safe?

8. Frankfort MB's

My piston didn't seize it was a peice of metal that melted to the crank and that's what seized

9. Frankfort MB's

The top end was fine, I actually used it on another bike lol

10. FurryOnTheInside

Ahh, okie. I misread.. Sooo.. What broke the piston ring that welded to the crank? Why is it "the old ring"? How long had it been in there? I find your story confusing! Lol o_O:confused::p

11. Frankfort MB's

Ikr I am a confusing person.
    I took top end off when I first got motor and ported it..... Well, I broke 2 sets of rings trying to put the top end back on. I had all of the peices of the broken rings except a very small chunk..... Apparently engines don't like that:)

Tauseef and FurryOnTheInside like this.
  12. Frankfort MB's

I had it in there for a good 150 miles before anything happened

13. FurryOnTheInside

Eek! :eek: I will heed the lesson of your story and check the engine after 149 miles LOL, seriously I will be very careful putting my cylinder on!

Tauseef likes this.
  14. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

sometimes you can get debris out of the bottom end by putting thick grease generously onto the crank wheels and then turn them.
    the debris sticks to the grease so you can see it and remove it when the wheels have been rotated far enough.

15. Frankfort MB's

Lol finally realized after 3 sets of rings that you have to put the rings on a certain way;)

Tauseef likes this.
  16. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

It's made that way so the ring ends won't snag on a port edge. Where they touch on the cylinder there are no port openings for the full stroke of the piston. That "track" is between the intake port and the transfer ports. Some engines make the ring ends run between the exhaust port and the transfers.

17. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

you dont need silly little bling parts like heat guages.

if it is that lean it overheats, it wont START. if its a stock standard motor, the 50cc...just run it and dont worry about anything, just USE IT. DONT PLAY WITH IT! unless you know what you are doing...

my 50cc would happily suck down a tankful at a run, roughly 120km or so. thats just full throttle, midsummer (40C over here in awstraya, maaaaayt) with no backing off.

i used to carry 2 2L coke bottles of fuel, use 6L on a ride. no tools, no phone, no emergency plan. just jump on and ride.

but, after having ported engines, played with engines, tweaked engines... some would last and be just as reliable. some would grenade in the first 5 minutes. matter of luck, mostly. luckily i never had one die more than 20km from home... strange, now i think about it.

the day anyone can get a stock standard engine to hit 220C is the day i will win the lottery...

i would ONLY run the 50, the "80cc" seemed just too much of a waste of time...pointless, really.

18. Tauseef

Tauseef Member

That is encouraging ! Though i have minimal tools with me at times to tinker with nuts bolts for adjusments that could hinder the ride.
    But, its good to know that these chinese 50cc HT wioo bear long ride.

19. Tauseef

Tauseef Member

A day back i just unscrewed the plug to see whats the debri/carbon inside, and the piston and all inside was full black ! Hard black oily covering.
    Now, GAS:OIL mixture will produce such greasy-carbon , so it stays there inside and does no harm ?

20. Frankfort MB's

That will happen if your not using synthetic oil, it's carbon build up.... Something that happens in all motors nothing to worry about

Tauseef likes this.