50 Columbia Powered Up

Axlerod

Local time
4:45 PM
I just wanted to demo Modified 50 Columbia w/ 49 cc Grubee. Engine kit came w/ Rapid Fire Shifter for clutch lever. It worked poorly , needing two plunges to disengage clutch, & two to engage. I just swapped it out for a brake lever w/ lock out, which works much better & is much safer. Extra curve added on down tube to clear spark plug, & put engine in front of cranks. Custom Al Gas Tank, 5053 Marine alloy .060" wall. It sure shakes a lot, still breaking her in. I can hear the Dogs howling as I wind my way up the Southern NH Hills.
NH law requires a stop light. Any suggestions? I just put a rear LED light on the seat post. Yours Truly Geo.

Attachments

• MB's,5-15-2009 002.jpg
    MB's,5-15-2009 002.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 426
  • MB's,5-15-2009 001.jpg
    MB's,5-15-2009 001.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 499
I just wanted to demo Modified 50 Columbia w/ 49 cc Grubee. Engine kit came w/ Rapid Fire Shifter for clutch lever. It worked poorly , needing two plunges to disengage clutch, & two to engage. I just swapped it out for a brake lever w/ lock out, which works much better & is much safer. Extra curve added on down tube to clear spark plug, & put engine in front of cranks. Custom Al Gas Tank, 5053 Marine alloy .060" wall. It sure shakes a lot, still breaking her in. I can hear the Dogs howling as I wind my way up the Southern NH Hills.
NH law requires a stop light. Any suggestions? I just put a rear LED light on the seat post. Yours Truly Geo.

Nice looking build. I have a soft spot for vintage Columbia bikes, as my first MB was a '46 Columbia with a 48cc gruBee. Regarding the brake light, there's one that I found through BikeWorldUSA.com. I just bought one of these to put on one of my bikes. It has a remote switch that mounts on a brake cable to activate the brake light. Here's the link: http://www.bikeworldusa.com/product_info.php/cPath/124_25_51/products_id/990
It also has turn signals and a horn.

Thanks to all, for your kind words.
Kilroy, that's a neat rear light set-up for $21, w/ horn & blinkers too.
I have allways used my arm to signal turns while riding bicycles, but w/ MB frequent need to use left hand to release clutch lever, it's a handful to do both at the same time. So many car drivers seem distracted these days, anything that will help get their attention is good.

Hi, I lucked onto a 1953 tristar deluxe Columbia bike at a yard sale for 20 dollars. It was a frame only bike no fenders tank or chainguard so I motorized it as is for now . It makes a nice looking beach cruiser type bike that people always want to know about.I do hope to come across the rest of the original stuff someday.... T

Back