5hp Briggs and Straton Racing Kart Motor

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by stealthc9, Feb 1, 2010.

1. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

Well I've got an old briggs 5hp motor, that had some bad gas in it. (i need to clean the carbs, and change the plug). It came off of my old Race Go Kart/Jr Dragster.

I'm gonna be putting it on a beach cruiser I have, it has a clutch on it (no idea what kind). I had the motor sitting around so I figure why not. I'll need to get a throttle, and some brakes. :helmet:

it should be a fun project. i'll post pics shortly.

2. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

3. Warner

Warner Member

Yikes! That's an awful lot of engine for a bicycle. Those race kart motors are NOT 5hp...I know you can get 2 or 3 times that much out of one of those puppies. Have you thought about how you're going to mount it? I wonder how the bicycle components are going to deal with all that power.....should be fairly scary. Be careful and post photos when you're done!

Warner

4. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

too much power...

think about the difference between a bicycle chain/bracket/chainring Vs. a go-kart jackshaft/chain/sproket setup.

I think you will just end up replacing broken part after broken part until you fabricate something heavy duty.

I would start with a #35 or bigger chain and design something around that if you are really serious.

5. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

maybe if you are real easy on the THING

maybe if you are real easy on the THING -- it will hold up

sounds like fun -- at least for a while

MM

6. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

Lol i know it's got alot of power, and even more torque lol

Im figuring the bike is going to rip into pieces lol. im kinda of wanting it to. either way its gonna be a fun project.

7. give me vtec

that is the dumbest thing I have ever herd.... make sure you are wearing body armor or at least a really good helmet. Hitting the ground at 35+ isnt fun.... especially when there is a curb or some other permanent object in your landing area.

Ask tedd how much fun a malfunction can be.

8. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

Oh Dont Worry 2 piece leather Track suit, I wont ride my motorbike or my motorcycle without it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or atleast THICK Jeans with my Kawasaki Jacket And ALWAYS Gloves

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  9. give me vtec

D*** I bet you look stupid wearing full riding gear on a motorized bike. I would love to see that.... talk about a special ed moment.

Middle finger right back at ya buddy... :helmet:

10. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

dude I ride on a BUSY main highway. No one is thinkin special Ed lol. especially since my old bike had a 28t sprocket on it (before it got stolen), so i was cruising at 45, with my pocket bike expansion chamber, boost bottle and nitrous (for when i had to take off fast, just a lil spray got the rpms up QUICK)

11. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

It sounds like fun...but as others have mentioned, there are safety concerns, not just the speed, bur the stress in the bike itself. With 2hp, there are enough things to keep an eye on.

A Suzuki 250cc 4 stroke only puts out 15-16hp which can be obtained from a race prepped Briggs. That bike weighs 300 lbs and goes 70 mph. No way I would put that kind of power through a bicycle unless it was built to motorcycle specs regardless of what I was wearing..

...which brings us to the fact that even a 5hp, let alone higher, legally, you have to meet motorcycle standards and have it plated and registered. I like "fun with engines" as much as the next guy, but I would not like one guy's fun to create an atmosphere whereby the rest of us lose our legal right to ride our now-complying bikes.

If you do this, please keep it on private property.

12. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

well yea im not looking to die lol. Its gonna be a race only bike. and ive already built a lawn mower briggs powered bicycle a few years ago.

HAHAHAHAHA I recieved an infraction because my pic i posted, how stupid. I come here less and less lol.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  13. Donny G

Donny G Guest

mine has a 5 hp briggs, with a whizzer ne5 auto clutch it's ported and relieved home made schwinn varsity handlebar intake mani, cement mixer 8 hp updraft carb

sounds like a model T blop blop blop certainly fits well imo
    To be honest I cringe everytime I see a chinese 2 stroke :sweatdrop:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  14. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

go for it man...you can never have too much power!!!!

15. motorpsycho

"which brings us to the fact that even a 5hp, let alone higher, legally, you have to meet motorcycle standards and have it plated and registered. I like "fun with engines" as much as the next guy, but I would not like one guy's fun to create an atmosphere whereby the rest of us lose our legal right to ride our now-complying bikes."

Loosen up man!!!

16. professor

professor Active Member

Motor- Hough is a lawyer, he is thinking of all of us when he said that.
    As far as legality, if you mess up on a non-legal bike and hurt someone other than yourself, you could be sued for damages, insurance companies could deny coverage of damage. And of course, the easiest way for that to occur is by going fast.
    Hough gave good advise when he said to keep it on private property.

17. motorpsycho

yeah that's fine.
    I just don't see how people ride these bikes in traffic (or why they think it's a good idea) but some people do use them to get back & forth to work. I don't htink he was planning to use it as a mode of commuting back & forth to work. i think he's just building it for the fun of it.
    I personally, live in a very rural area, so when i ride i rarely see cars or people on the roads.
    I'm just used to my situtation, where i don't have to worry about laws, or other people getting in my way.
    here, people can ride dirt bikes, golf carts & 4 wheelers on the roads with no worries at all.
    we don't even have a police station in our county so if someone does call the cops, they would have to call the sherrif, and it would take them a good 30 minutes just to get here.

18. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Nice ride Donny!