5HP Schwinn Stingray Chopper

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by stephen115, Oct 10, 2011.

1. stephen115

stephen115 New Member

here is my build thread on my schwinn chopper.

I recently received this when I was around 11, I stored it for around 5-6 years and when I was 18 I thought it would be cool to put a go kart engine on it because I wanted to go fast. so I bought a 5.5Hp go kart engine and found out the hard way that it wasnt going to fit, so we cut out the bottom beam and replaced it with two pieces of c-channel and lowered it about 2 inches. so the engine fits perfect. then we installed the clutch. we took the rear wheel and installed a big sprocket on it for high speed crusing and soon found out that the bearings were shot in the rear wheel. I then took the axel out and made my own(which is still under development and I probably will just get a stock wheel off another stingray chopper). I then installed the chain which I then had to shorten and I also made a tensioner out of an old skateboard wheels(I will make a better one someday). I can't remember what I did with the rear brakes so the brake handle is the throttle for now and there is no brakes!!,

message me if you have a rear brake kit for my bike and we can make a deal, stock ones will be fine.

the exhaust will also be finished soon, ohh I forgot to mention that we are going to STRETCH the frame by swapping out the c-channel for a longer piece and extending the top beam the same length, probably about 8'', because it is too short for me:)

here it is!

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr68/stephen1155/P1000152.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr68/stephen1155/P1000153.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr68/stephen1155/P1000154.jpg
    SJ

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011

2. Wheres my dog

Wheres my dog Banned

Nice build...

BUT 5 horses and NO BRAKES is a very very bad thing!

You seriously need TWO brakes on that thing BEFORE riding it

3. stephen115

stephen115 New Member

I know, that is the next step.

SJ

4. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

"we took the rear wheel and installed a big sprocket on it for high speed crusing".

A big rear sprocket will give you more low end torque, not high top end speed.

you need to think about disk brakes for it because caliper brakes won't do much to stop that thing.
    what's with the fire extinguisher on the front and the painted on white walls?
    if you are trying to get the rat rod look (black with red wheels & whitewalls) that look has been way overdone.
    black paint, red wheels and whitewalls don't make things hot rods anymore.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. stephen115

stephen115 New Member

Yea my bad, I have the caliber brakes coming in,disk brakes are just too much for me right now price wise.

6. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Brakes

Hey Stephen, I've built a buttload of the OCC's with the HT engine. It uses a pretty much standard cantilever type brake for the rear. I've even gone so far as to weld on the posts for them on a coaster brake OCC. If you put calipers on front and cantilevers on back you should be OK. The last one I set up like that had amazing stopping ability.
    If you would like to know how I build front brakes on one that has no set up for brakes, just ask. There are two way's to do it.
    Big Red.

7. GasX

GasX New Member

I don't see any pedals. Does that make it a motorcycle?

8. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Just looked closer at your roller, Try the groove thing like I suggested, and also try running the chain over the TOP of the roller. That way when you have slack in your chain it will lay in the roller, not fall below it. Check out e-bay and look at Bicycle engine chain tensioner's. You will see that the chain is intended to lay in and roll over the top of the roller. This should help keep it lined up.
    Big Red.

9. stephen115

stephen115 New Member

Well guys I got some brakes on the bike and there kind of being a pain, they work the first couple of stops but not to a full stop unless I use my feet. also, the brakes move side to side when braking? any clue on why this happens?

I fixed my chain to where it doesn't fall off anymore but now it rubs! I took out a link so now its tighter. I'll play around with it. But I got to ride it today with no worries(except for the chain rubbing on the frame)I didn't ride very long but I got a couple laps around the neighborhood.

thank you for viewing
    SJ

10. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Show us a pic of where the chain is rubbing. We might have a solution.
    Big Red

11. stephen115

stephen115 New Member

I will post one tomorrow if I get the time

SJ

12. stephen115

stephen115 New Member

Here are the pictures.
    [​IMG]

the chain rubs right where the frame and c channel meet.
    [​IMG]

and this is how much slack there is if I put pressure on it.
    [​IMG]

Hope someone has a solution.
    thank you
    SJ

13. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

chain rub

Here's my solution. You might have to ad a few links, but this should work just fine. You might weld on the plate instead of bolting it like I did, Although I never had any problems with it.
    Big Red.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  14. stephen115

stephen115 New Member

What exactly do I need to make that?

SJ

15. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Tensioner

Just go to e-bay, couse it's easy. Go to BICYCLE ENGINES and look for a roller tensioner or chain tensioner. Then cut off the clamp end to size, and bolt or weld it in place. Make sure you get the metal clamp arm AND roller. I think it's about $10.00.
    Big Red.
    P.S. PLUS the setup is adjustable, so you can use it to take some slack out of the chain.

16. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Tensioner

Just another idea I used to keep the chain off the top of the frame on a Jesse James build I did. It's called a Sprocket Tensioner. It's a little more expensive and may not work as well as the roller type in your case. But just to give you idea's and options. Also on e-bay.
    Big Red.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      99.7 KB
      Views:
  17. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

OCC build

Hey Stephen, I was looking at your build again and I noticed you removed the down tube for the seat post or whatever you call it. It's the part that also acts as a brace in the frame. Now that you've worked and welded on one, you know, as I do, That the metal on those bikes is real thin. I think I would weld some kind of brace back in, like in front of the back tire. You know where I mean? These frames were really made for kids and are not real heavy duty. Just trying to help.
    Big Red.

18. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

THAT thing is legally a motorcycle- be aware that John Law can and will write you up on it.
    the Old Sgt.:-/

19. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

OCC Build

Yer right Sarg, I think I've mentioned that it need's peddles to make it a street legal Motorized Bicycle. As long as he's been warned, then it's on him.
    Big Red.

20. stephen115

stephen115 New Member