Brakes 6 Bolt disc brake freewheel adapter

Why put a left handed freewheel on the right side of a bike?

If you want to use the disc brake holes to hold a drive cog, you could do that, but it would be cheaper and easier to use a multi-speed freewheel hub, with a common cog, 1 rubber donut and bolts, and a BMX freewheel.

I read his post as referring to the motor drive side (left side, opposite the 'standard' drive side on the right.) Otherwise, it wouldn't make any sense...

A threaded adapter on the right, if used to mount a thread-on disk brake rotor, would need left hand threads. On the left side, a thread-on adapter for a disk rotor would need right-hand threads. This is opposite the thread direction requirements for thread-on freewheels... (As the brake caliper/pads apply torque in the opposite direction as the chain/sprocket.)

I've also seen a disk-brake thread-on adapter used to add standard 44mm 6-hole disk brake mount to a flip-flop hub (per image, below.) On the left side, when the brakes are applied (and you are slowing down) the torque tends to tighten a RH threaded adapter.

However, if the user flopped the hub, so that the disk brake mount is on the right, and added the adapter above, to use a freewheel on the right as well, you would need standard, RH threads their.

Of course, this means that you could then also use the adapter below, and have disk brakes on on BOTH sides (assuming that the hub was a thread-on version, rather than a cassette.) Why you would want this, I don't know, as a single disk is certainly capable of locking the rear wheel...

Attachments

• DiskAdapter-Thin.jpg
    DiskAdapter-Thin.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 5,517
Last edited:
Nah, the adapter is right hand threaded, for the freewheel. the adapter mounts to the 6 bolt circle for the disc rotor, and the rotor mounts on top of that, using the same screws. The adapter is oblivious to direction as long as the caliper is mounted straight (on right hand side would be a custom job). The freewheel needs RH threads bc. its on the RH side of bike (hub is reversed)

Back