$6 proformance muffler

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by unraw, Oct 3, 2008.

1. unraw

unraw Member

My muffler always fell off because i had to cut it to made it fit and the copper fitting that i had on there didn't work properly.so I made a new one out of some 3/4 inch copper pipe and a thread in lawnmower muffler. it is quite loud. It has insane power now. It feels like I have my 44t back but with still the speed. In the vid you can notice it hesitates before revving. What is this a sign of? Is it running too rich? It did this with my other pipe too. Its also running quite hot since i put it on there. should i be concerned?

2. wildemere

wildemere Member

sounds lean to me, check the plug colour
  3. Sounds lean to me too. Could be lack of back pressure that a two stroke needs to run properly.
  4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

with some study here on site -- HOMEWORK
    might be worth finding out in regards to back pressure needed

I have in the past left most of my 2-strokes STOCK

a little concern here -- running hot

do not wish to burn something up -- do we ??

piston ect ???

makes it hard to ride that thing Mountainman
  5. unraw

unraw Member

well I found out its running pretty lean. So I've fixed the stock muffler. better to have less power than to run it lean. it sure had a lot of power though. I've seen someone on this forum had a xcan muffler. I'll search around and see if i want that. Hopefly I can find a cheaper expansion chamber though. ie: sub $100
  6. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

It does sound lean and lean = heat. Not good for a 2 stroke or any engine for that matter. I would lower the clip on the needle one notch. That will raise the needle and make it a run little richer. Read the plug first to make sure it is a lean condition.

7. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

It has been said that a two stroke runs the best right before it blows up.
    (It is wise to keep it slightly on the "rich side" of peak power)
  8. atomicmiata

atomicmiata Member

9. unraw

unraw Member

Thanks for the link. ive been looking for a pocket bike exhaust that would fit decent but i couldnt find one. How much did you have to extend it to get it tuned?
  10. atomicmiata

atomicmiata Member

dunno about tuning it really, it was really a matter of getting it to fit and keeping it tucked out of the way so I can peddle without getting burned.
  11. unraw

unraw Member

ok. I checked ebay and that muffler was sold out. too bad.