66/80cc

45u

Local time
4:48 PM
Why do they call them 66/80cc? Does this mean you might get a 66 or 80cc? Some have been telling me there is more then one brand on the 2 cycle engines even thaw they all look alike. What are the better brands and how do you tell them apart or is it just hit and miss?
Thanks
Jeff

popular explanation is that cylinder is 80cc, but the western world only measures the volume that is swept by the piston which is about 66cc

due to diff in stroke, rod length & piston height, motors vary from about 66cc to 69cc

most motors can't be told apart without taking them apart & measuring

hit & miss describes it well for noobs - takes ordering many kits to find a supplier one likes

Rod length does not have anything to do with displacement. Only way to increase engine displacement is by stroke or bore. longer rods help to lower the piston speed and rod angle. Have built MANY a Harley performance storker motor as this is how I have made my living for the past 45 plus years. So the quality is about the same on all the Chines engines?
Thanks
Jeff

that is true about effect of rod length, but that length can be a good indicator of a possible diff in stroke - this can be important with these mostly unmarked parts

I have only seen to different strokes for the 2 cycle is there more? Do they make stroker cranks? I plain on taking the motor I ordered apart before I ever start it.
Thanks Jeff

yes, quality can vary tremendously.

the more expensive motors tend to be slightly better.

i recall my skyhawk black motor had a rounded cylinder rather than the standard square fins/head...rather unique, i thought.
it took a lot of abuse, lasted me for a long time then passed on to a friend for a few months. sorta feel like getting it running again :)

another engine, the cheapest available, turned out to be a 66, and everything about it was bad, never managing to get me simply 5km down the road without a failure.

usually, the self run businesses tend to sell better products than the "ebay" sellers. you need a good reputation to keep in business.

my three or four "ebay" specials always had issues, whereas buying from a dealer type person...usually much better.

once you use different vendors, the parts matching becomes a complete nightmare. different skirt heights, different deck heights, cylinder heights, rod lengths, eek...and not one part is labelled or numbered :)

Yep those are the only two strokes I have found. Wonder why someone does not make a stroker crank? They make them for 1/5 scale motors. Have built many a storker crank for Harley s.

people have done one-offs, it's just hard to sell a product when it costs 5 times the price of the engine

Back