66cc Chinagirl now chirping like a bird!

ok, i can't stand it. i think i may know what's going on, but no promises ok? and lucky you if this is the problem instead of a dry hub or whatever.

as i recall, those HT tensioner wheels make the exact noise you're describing if the engine-chain's too tight.

Last edited:
66cc chirping

Just got back from 8mi ride. rode fast its cold here. FINALLY my chirping noise gone...Not sure what exactly was cause,but here's some of what I did.last nite. With hollow pipe listened to both sides motor. figured chirping was real loud from left side drive spkt...took off cover, noticed some wear on inside edge of cover. filed down 2 areas...unscrewed clutch cable stop-packed grease down into hole. Then readjusted clutch cable (tightened it some). Bike now runs better-faster pickup and NO chirping noise. Possibly clutch wasn't disengaging all the way, possibly chain nicking spkt cover..I dont know That's why they call them Happy Times....Apache

I also had chirping noises not too long ago. Turns out the rear wheel bearings were too tight. When you spin the rear wheel it should take a while to spin to a stop. It's easier to diagnose with the chains off. Anyway try taking the wheel off and checking the bearings. Make sure they are well packed with axle grease and adjust them make sure you tighten the jam nuts to the axle cones with 2 wrenches. Usually if you ran something too tight and dry you have ground up bearings somewhere. Don't ignore the noise it it's probably eating metal on metal

Rear wheel

Check, a/c man. good idea. Its about time to take rear wheel down anyway. Im going to do it tomorrow! Thanks...........Apache

When the engine's running or even just turning over without firing, a chirping can sometimes indicate a blown head gasket or low torque on the cylinder studs.
(Probably not in this case, by the sound of it.)

I've had the same problem since day 1 of having my engine

According to reports on this site and others, it is the bearings behind the big clutch wheel making that noise.

I've gone many hundreds of miles and it has not stopped after many applications of lubricant to the bearings and anywhere else that could chirp

That being said, there have been no problems with the engine even though it chirps

Sorry about that, Matty. I guess I got lucky an somehow got rid of it. maybe I packed grease on the right spot or adjusted clutch someway the bird didnt like.Keep fooling with it and one day itll be gone...

Just for thoughts...when I'm listening for a sound I can't seem to find I use a length of "RUBBER" hose and NOT a pipe. Should you have that pipe to your ear and you hit something moving, it can shove that pipe into/on to your ear...and that ain't smart. For over 45 years a hose has worked for me. Why I didn't buy one of these years ago beats me.

Attachments

• AutomotiveStethoscope-450.jpg
    AutomotiveStethoscope-450.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 146
Back