Crashes 7 stitches and broken hand

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Bighat, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Bighat

Bighat New Member

After 2,500 km on my bumblebeebolton the flywheel snapped off, lodged in my back brakes and froze the wheel smashing me into the concrete at 50 kmh. Multiple attempts at contacting vendor were ignored. Therefore, I hereby retract all endorsements I've given this kit as it will injure/kill you. My Staton FD kit on the other hand continues to perform reliably.

2. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

What motor was involved?

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I hope you hand heals well and with a full recovery.

Now where is the member FrictionNut when you need him. I'm sure he'll wear you down with talk and chatter, that the Bumblebee bolt-on is the best and most reliable device that was ever invented since the Earth started turning.

4. Bighat

Bighat New Member

To be honest, It was an extremely reliable and lightweight kit. Tiny flaw in the design though. Site will not accept the pics I have. I will try resizing... tomorrow.

5. Bighat

Bighat New Member

Bumblebee.

6. Bighat

Bighat New Member

Correction: ...MAY injure/ kill you.

7. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

Wow, sure am glad you posted this, I would've considered one.Looks like the "overkill" tank-like builds of Staton/BMP are almost necessary.

8. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Sorry about your injury. I may start wearing leather gloves. The bumblebeebolton is very inexpensive for a friction kit. They still should respond to your questions.

9. Bighat

Bighat New Member

Yes, Staton builds solidly, All I drive now.

pics of snapped engine. Had to use my cheap camera but you can still see the flaw. Thanks for the kind words from ya'll.

Attached Files:

10. BchCruizer

BchCruizer Banned

What hasn't been said here is how you were told only to use an 1 1/4in drive wheel. and if you use a bigger one you would shear your fly wheel..which is what happened..what size drive wheel were you using an 1 1/2in..the kits are reliable as long as you leave them alone and dont change anything!
    I know bumblebeebolt personaly they live in my town and i asked them about this and was told that mark here was warned that this would happen if he used a different drive wheel and he did and it happened..

11. BchCruizer

BchCruizer Banned

broken.jpg

see the steel drive wheel..thats not what come with the kits..shouldn't fix something thats not broken or you just might break ..i hope your wounds heal quickly and good luck!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  12. BchCruizer

BchCruizer Banned

I know why you broke it..hear me out..the drive wheel bumblebee uses is flexible. when you tighten it it flexs..so you can torque it down..now the steel drive wheel you were using isnt going to flex..so when you torque it down its going to strain the drive shaft and weaken it..so of course it going to snap..its been strained..just a thought..

13. Bighat

Bighat New Member

See, that is a 1 1/4 roller. Rubber rollers that come with the kit are useless. The first kit I bought came with the roller already unevenly worn. I was even more careful with the second one, but it still only lasted a week. Healing up nicely thanks and thankful for the opportunity to discover what works for myself...and what doesn't.

14. Bighat

Bighat New Member

You're probably right. I did notice the metal roller would get very hot as well. All done now. I just stick with my Honda GX35 "tank like build". A wee bit heavier but worth it imho.

15. Bighat

Bighat New Member

After seeing my pic of the as yet uninstalled 1 1/2 roller I made, BBB did inform me as to the possible dangers associated with using it. I then built a 1 1/4 and that is all I 've ever used.

16. BchCruizer

BchCruizer Banned

true that..there ok engines..i like the straton's to..i just gotta four wheeler so i dont know if im gonna be riding the bike much..lol

17. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

You bumblebee folks are trying to SPIN the problemo just like NOBAMA. The ISSUE is the cheap metal the crankshaft is made of. Focus on the problem and find a SOLUTION.

18. BchCruizer

BchCruizer Banned

the fact is its a half in hardened steel that just doesnt break with out being beat on and mis treated..its not a dirt bike if ya wanna go around jumping curbs and treating it like it is then get a dirt bike your on bicycle..i have thousands of miles on my kit and not on problem..i warned him id he changed the drive wheel or that would happen..he was warned and it happened..solution-dont do what your not supposed to..

19. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

You can always get a SickBikeParts shift kit, and drive wheels that shatter like a fragmentation grenade won't happen, beating on it or not.

My shift kit has taken some serious punishment (a lot more punishment than a friction drive will ever see) and it still keeps working nicely.

20. BchCruizer

BchCruizer Banned

I never heard of a drive wheel shattering like a grenage..but go around jumping curbs and see how long your kit last..