79cc 4 stroke frame mount build

BTW, I've been seeing more of these 79cc engines in other places besides Harbor Freight. They are also appearing on Tillers, pumps, generators, small pressure washers, and edgers. Home Depot had an edger with a black version of this Chinamotor. They all look the same as each other, but they are black or different colors.

Good news, is parts and salvage engines will be more available as these engines become more popular.

im not really worried about the extra speed or rpms. its eaier cause then you can run the throothle straight to the carb.

good. then i can use my 415 chain. dont have to buy one.

there not called greyhounds are they. or are they labled as lifans. they'll get even more popular as the economy stays bad. people wont be able to afford name brand hondas, brggs and strattons and other name brand motors.

ZnsaneRyder

im gonna gear it low. im gonna let my grandpa try gearing it cause he would know exactly would i would need since hes had hundreds of motercycels and dirtbikes and he used to be in professional hillclimbing and he built his bikes. he might have some gear ratio calculator or something in his garage.
or i could have his make me a 70 tooth sprocket. then i wouldnt. but he'll probally make a jackshaft for me.

Rgvkid

you probally wont break anything. these engines ae way better than those cheap chinese 2 stroke kits. yea i got the one year warrenty.

I meant breaking the internal components just to de gov the engine. i have yet to take it apart so I will see how tough it is to degov when i do. Im hopeing i'll be able to take out the governing components and then put it back together when i return the engine to get a new one.

Finally got around to my 2.5 tonight.

Since I will be using a different tank and removing most of the covers I decided to remove all the governor linkage so the engine looks better.

Yanked off the flywheel and used a punch to remove the gear...just like my 6.5
DSCN5478.jpg

DSCN5479.jpg

The lever removal I used a die grinder to chop a bit off the top and it fell out.....probably could have removed without cutting.
Almost left the lever and its linkage on the engine.
I was going to run a spring to the lever keeping it from hitting the crankshaft...but again, this looks better

I will plug both holes by driving set screws with lock-tite into them.

Last edited:
Good thinking. Do you think you could put it back together just in case you had to return it later down the line?

Good thinking. Do you think you could put it back together just in case you had to return it later down the line?
I'm not sure if the gov gear pin or the rocker would fit it their holes after I run a set screw in them.
Easiest way to make it reversible is to remove the rod going to the throttle and put a spring on the lever so it doesn't rotate too much.
You can pull the rod out without removing anything, its kinda flimsy....not like the 6.5's throttle rod

Rgvkid
wow i've never seen pics of that bike before. i sure wouldnt want an engine on my handlebars. must be hard to turn. lol

Gen3Benz

do you know if you can pull off the rope start and get electric start for these motors. im sure a little moped orsmall dirtbike startor will work. that would pretty kool.
you took the easy way. the gear isnt even damaged.
i think you have to cut it casue its curved. yea removing it all then you dont have to worry about the arm hittting the crankshaft and it looks a lot better without all that stuff.

my dad said taking the govener out voids the warrenty. i told him i can put the throttle arm back on and the springs and im sure those hf employes that make minimum wage or really inspect it to well and they will probally give you a new one. that is if they even look over it. i doubt they really care anyways. there not loosing anything. and put on the gas tank and all the stuff

do you know if you can pull off the rope start and get electric start for these motors. im sure a little moped orsmall dirtbike startor will work.
You would need a starter, battery, flywheel, and a charging coil.
I doubt anyone makes a kit for an engine this small.
It would cost 2-3 times as much as the engine.......keep pulling that cord :D

Back