79cc HF exhaust powered alternator? turbornator?

jatgm1

Local time
10:22 PM
My thought was it may be more interesting than using lighting coils. Plus I can swap the engine and the lighting system stays as it was, instead of having to add the lighting system to the new one. I want just a basic headlight, blinkers, and the ability to charge a battery. So maybe at some point I can make it street legal.

just sayin, but if u add a not too heavy DD (geared hubs dont do regen) electric hub motor front wheel, with a regen enabled, there's your generator, and a lot more besides.

It adds a little drag if unused, but not much.

u have same electrics options as an ebike in short.

also, a (jump) starter, a street legal mode and electric is far superior in many low power situations

Last edited:
My thought was it may be more interesting than using lighting coils.
I want just a basic headlight, blinkers, and the ability to charge a battery.
Naw, you won't be able to generate electricity from some exhaust alternator, there is no force left in the exhaust, and to convert anything to electricity takes force and there are losses.

Then why does a turbocharger work? It uses the exhaust gasses to spin a turbine which compresses the fuel/air mixture against the valve, while putting any unburnt fuel back in. Surely you could run an alternator off that turbine?

Back