7G Ghost Racer Kit

MacLotus

Local time
12:55 PM
Greetings! This is my first post.

I recently purchased the 7G kit, which comes with the HS 49cc 4 stroke. While it runs great, one can't help but want to get a little more performance out of it.

What aftermarket parts are available/recommended for this engine? (Exhaust pipe, carb, air-filter) Source?

Also, I've heard about the EZ Q-Matic transmission, but not sure how it compares to the 7G? Is the 7G a recently introduced product (after the Q-Matic)? If one is better than the other... please help me understand the benefits.

Thanks,

Ken

What aftermarket parts are available/recommended for this engine? (Exhaust pipe, carb, air-filter) Source?
Ken
Hi Ken, welcome to the forum.

Improvements:
NGK 7544 (CR7HIX) Iridium spark plug.
Adjust your valves.
Replace the box exhaust with anything else, even a 2-stroke pipe.

Sorry I don't have the gaps for the 2 valves, my server is down and they are in my topic there but you can search here for '142F'.

Sadly the 7G transfer case in that kit is not not very good.
Keep the clutch bushing well oiled and the belt tension as loose it will go to get more longevity out of it.

Thanks a bunch! Much appreciated! Is the valve adjustment needed because of poor manufacturing processes? Are they that far out of whack 'out of the box'? I'll make the adjustment.

I appreciate hearing 'how it is' with regard to the various components out there, regardless of whether I own one or not. I'd like to find what works best, not the cheapest... but what's worth the investment, and what's not.

The one thing I found a little disappointing about the 7G transfer case was the excessive drag when pedaling. I expected some, but not that much. I did add an upgraded spring tensioner (415# Chain) and have a 10t idler gear ordered. The spring that came with the tensioner was extremely weak for the job so I added a 30lb spring. Now tension is perfect as I go from throttle-on to engine-coasting to throttle-on. The idler gear should help too. I also just received some 1/2" vibration isolators sized to M6 1.0 for the engine mounts. We'll see how that works. This is all in an effort to minimize vibration and noise.

I pretty much trashed everything that came with the kit opting for the best stuff I could find. I bought the Harmony Adapter Kit with 48T sprocket, which bolt directly to the hub via the 6 disc-rotor bolts (vs. clamping to the spokes). It works great. Love it! Should I change to a 41# chain?

BikeBerry is getting ready to release a flexible Poo Poo exhaust with a flange for the HS 142F. Not sure if it will have the expansion chamber like the two stroke version. I want a pipe that takes the noise/pop and puts it behind the bike, and muffled as best possible (even at the sacrifice of a little power). That means a longer pipe.

As for the stock air-filter... I've seen some folks recommend taking out the sponge and running nothing? Is there something better out there or do I have to engineer a solution myself?

The last two questions are the most important to me...

Will I appreciate the difference and benefits of the EZ Q-Matic transfer case? Subjective question... I suppose? Is it smoother, quieter, and easier to pedal 'engine-off'?

Is the Honda GSX50 engine worth the additional money over the HS 142F? Honda is unquestionably the pinnacle of quality precision manufacturing processes, but does that transfer to the GSX50? The engine designs in photos look so similar, one can't help but think they're all the same... a horse apiece. Question is... is the Honda quality there?

Thanks again guys! You comments are really helpful!

Cheers,

Ken

I wrote up a valve adjustment procedure a few years ago, maybe it'll help you.
link: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?38514-How-to-adjust-your-GXH50-Huasheng-Titan-valves

I'll try answering your questions the best I can. You put a lot of them in your post!

Thanks a bunch! Much appreciated! Is the valve adjustment needed because of poor manufacturing processes? Are they that far out of whack 'out of the box'? I'll make the adjustment.

I appreciate hearing 'how it is' with regard to the various components out there, regardless of whether I own one or not. I'd like to find what works best, not the cheapest... but what's worth the investment, and what's not.

The Huasheng is made in China by usually underpaid folks who may or may not take pride in their work, and that attitude may or may not change depending on what day of the week it is. Sounds like anywhere else, no? Anyway, valves being out of adjustment significantly alters the performance of an engine, especially one this small. Doesn't matter where it's made, best to make sure things are set right if you know the specs. Call it an enthusiastic doublecheck.

The one thing I found a little disappointing about the 7G transfer case was the excessive drag when pedaling. I expected some, but not that much. I did add an upgraded spring tensioner (415# Chain) and have a 10t idler gear ordered. The spring that came with the tensioner was extremely weak for the job so I added a 30lb spring. Now tension is perfect as I go from throttle-on to engine-coasting to throttle-on. The idler gear should help too. I also just received some 1/2" vibration isolators sized to M6 1.0 for the engine mounts. We'll see how that works. This is all in an effort to minimize vibration and noise.

This is to be expected when there is no freewheel mechanism on the transmission output. Pedaling with the engine off will turn the whole belt assembly and thus the freewheeling action is at the clutch drum. I don't know of a freewheel for the 7G's output shaft, but a lack of a freewheel gives you engine braking ability. Most Grubee 4G have freewheeling action and thus lack any engine braking.

If you want to minimize vibration, use a quality mount and make sure it's tight. Rubber mounts will often exacerbate any vibration.
A single cylinder engine is by nature unbalanced harmonically, so there will always be some NVH somewhere.

I pretty much trashed everything that came with the kit opting for the best stuff I could find. I bought the Harmony Adapter Kit with 48T sprocket, which bolt directly to the hub via the 6 disc-rotor bolts (vs. clamping to the spokes). It works great. Love it! Should I change to a 41# chain?

If your chain run is perfectly straight, a standard BMX-sized 410 should work. If you want a little peace of mind, use heavy duty 410 like KMC's 710.
If you want even more peace of mind, use 415, which is a little wider (3/16" vs 1/8"). #41 will also work, but IMHO is unnecessary.
You will get better performance with a lighter chain.

BikeBerry is getting ready to release a flexible Poo Poo exhaust with a flange for the HS 142F. Not sure if it will have the expansion chamber like the two stroke version. I want a pipe that takes the noise/pop and puts it behind the bike, and muffled as best possible (even at the sacrifice of a little power). That means a longer pipe.

It shouldn't have the expansion chamber. From my experience, BikeBerry is a joke for 4-stroke stuff. They don't seem to know what they are doing.
Get the Whizzer flexpipe from Memory Lane Classics for $22 and their tailpipe tip if you like. If you want a snarly muffled sound, use a large Briggs cigar muffler.
They are <$10 at Ace Hardware. On my setup I don't use a muffler anymore, I just bend the end of the flexpipe slightly downward.

As for the stock air-filter... I've seen some folks recommend taking out the sponge and running nothing? Is there something better out there or do I have to engineer a solution myself?

Keep the sponge, but drill a bunch of 1/2" holes in the air filter cover. It will work just fine. You can upgrade the filter to something better.
It may not win anything in the looks department, but it will work just fine. Or you can change the whole intake and carb and use Venice Motor Bike's kit.
His kit will eliminate any problems you will likely end up having with the stock carburetor, and it also will improve performance a bit.

The last two questions are the most important to me...

Will I appreciate the difference and benefits of the EZ Q-Matic transfer case? Subjective question... I suppose? Is it smoother, quieter, and easier to pedal 'engine-off'?

Is the Honda GSX50 engine worth the additional money over the HS 142F? Honda is unquestionably the pinnacle of quality precision manufacturing processes, but does that transfer to the GSX50? The engine designs in photos look so similar, one can't help but think they're all the same... a horse apiece. Question is... is the Honda quality there?

Thanks again guys! You comments are really helpful!

Cheers,

Ken

The Q-Matic is an excellent cruising system. It's is smoother, about as loud and about the same difficulty in pedaling with the engine off.
It's much slower on take-off from a dead stop than a 4G/7G and doesn't like slow cruising speed (clutch can burn up prematurely).
But on the straights, it's perhaps the best system. You can blip the throttle all you like and the system is easy on the bike.

The GXH50 is not worth the extra money over the Huasheng. All said and done, the GXH50 costs over twice as much, it's only slightly better in the end.
It does have very slightly more power (~5-10%) and it's a little quieter. It also comes with a governor and low oil shutoff, which get in the way.

It will not necessarily last longer than a Huasheng. Either engine can break when over-revved for extended periods. Primitive oiling system.
My brother has had a GXH50 and Q-matic for over 5 years. He's had to rebuild his engine once already, has about 2K miles on his setup. He runs hard.

I've had a Huasheng and a 4G on SBP shift kit for 5 years. I'm approaching 10K miles and my engine still starts in 3 pulls or less and runs like new.
I use 15w40 Rotella T oil and every 2 tanks of gas, I put a capful of Marvel in the gas as an upper cylinder lube.
Change oil every 2-4 months, adjust valves the same time, don't rev it over 7500. Change fuel filter every 8-10 months.

It should last you a long time.

Wow! Great information! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me better understand these machines. There is no substitute for those who have 'tried and true' experience. Thank you.

I do appreciate the engine braking, and with the engine running at idle, it seems easy enough to pedal... With a little 'power-assistance' when needed.

Regarding the carb, I looked at that but it appeared he's out of stock for now. I mentioned it to the guy at BikeBerry and he scoffed at the thought of a two-stroke carb on a 4s. I'm curious if it had to be re-jetted for 4s use? Like you, I wasn't terribly impressed by his knowledge... Or lack thereof. ;-)

I'll order those exhaust parts today. That sounds like some great options.

Lastly, the transfer case. I personally don't use the bike for transportation, but for low & slow speed exploration (15 mph or so). I agree the single cylinder engines don't last long at higher rpm's, but since I'm not a speed demon and more of a cruiser, that shouldn't be a problem. Since I'm a slower cruiser-type, would the Q-matic burn clutches faster than my 7g?
You mentioned its smoother, but slower on take-off. Does it have more torque as a trade-off?

It may be an issue for me, but currently I have a 48t rear sprocket (Harmony Adapter Kit) with monster disc brakes. I really like the direct-bolt mount to the hub and the disc brake set-up... Stops on a dime! The downside.... I'm limited in the size of the rear sprocket or I'll lose the rear disc brake set-up. I could fit a 52t or maybe a 54t, but not any larger. The q-matic requires a 56t minimum. Question is, would I really lose 'umph' on take-off vs the 7g I have?

Regarding a shift kit, I took the Shimano 7-speed system off the bike and installed an upgraded cassette hub, surly spacers, and 22t single speed cog with surly tensioner. Works great! Again, I prefer low speed cruising... and the current set-up easily goes faster than I need/want. I wish I could go 60t, but I'll lose the rear brake. I like (make that LOVE) good brakes! ;-)

Thanks again. You're experience is saving me huge time & money on experimentation! Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ken

The Almen summed up everything extremely well (Nice work A).

I will just add this...

I appreciate hearing 'how it is' with regard to the various components out there, regardless of whether I own one or not.
I'd like to find what works best, not the cheapest... but what's worth the investment, and what's not.

The one thing I found a little disappointing about the 7G transfer case was the excessive drag when pedaling.
Ken

Not only does the 7G not have any freewheel, the clutch bell is on a bushing so it makes it even harder to pedal.
The Q-matic is good but also has no freewheel and it is really wide due to the outer bearing support for the Secondary pulley.

Q-matic-4G.jpg

That is the Q's cover next to a 4G cover on the ground.
That's a 79cc build in the bay right now so a different engine but the same Q system.
The wider it is, the wider the pedal spacing has to be.

The 4G's use a freewheel output sprocket for easy pedaling, but they have to be at least 12T and considering their small size, not that reliable.

I think the 10G KCK is the best system to date, it has a much larger freewheel bearing inside the 100T secondary pulley, and the clutch bell is isolated from the engine shaft on a set of bearings of it's own.
That means you can go with as small as a 9T solid output sprocket and comes with a 9 and 10T.

Bummer for you is, you have the wrong engine.
Like the 4G, the 10G was developed for the HS 142F-1G engine with the tapered shaft and clutch attached.
You have the HS 142FS engine with long straight shaft and separate clutch, all of which ride on the engine shaft like the 7G.

To change your transfer case options to better ones, you have to change engines.

Note there are also HS 144F-1G engines.
Same engine as the 142 49cc, it just has a slightly wider bore for 53cc and a bit more power.

Hope that helps.

You must have been posting when I was so I will address your last post.

I personally don't use the bike for transportation, but for low & slow speed exploration (15 mph or so).

Regarding a shift kit, I took the Shimano 7-speed system off the bike and installed an upgraded cassette hub, surly spacers, and 22t single speed cog with surly tensioner. Works great!
Ken
I had a customer with the same needs as you last year.
He wanted a Mule. All torque, light, and ~15mph top speed.
Great disc brakes and enough torque to climb a telephone pole without gears so I built him this.

Surley2SmuleL.jpg

The whole bike is Surly and better stuff.
He shipped me a couple of big boxes of parts and said 'use these'.
Had to be $2K worth and it is so nice to work with great parts!

Jackshafted it so I didn't have to mess with the brakes and gained a bunch of gear reduction in the process.
Like you, I replaced 7-speed with a perfectly aligned big single sprocket on the hub via the spacers.

SurelyFinalDrive.jpg

I just talked to him a couple months ago, too funny...

He was apparently trying to climb a near vertical cliff and flipped it over backwards and broke a couple parts and wanted to know about replacements, but the too funny (or maybe really cool) part was him going on and on and on... about how perfect the machine was for his needs and this wasn't my fault.

Who doesn't like kudo's like that?

Anyway, the point is
you can get what you what though I'd suggest replacing the back hub with a 3-speed disc hub but what you have will work dandy.

Geared right, with a 3S you can creep along 8mph at WOT full power up hill, or get up to some real speeds or a quitter (lower rpm) slow ride up-shifting, yet the chain line remains true and fixed.

Just examples what can be done, hope it helps you.

Last edited:
Those are some great suggestions. Thank you! Are the 10g engines available? Source?

I'd like to learn more about 'jack shafting' and what engines you can do that to. Any links?

Thanks again!

Back