8 speed shifter?

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by Maddaddy, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Guest

Has anyone seen this 5-speed setup?
    www.scrappyscooter.com
    Want to know if anyone has built a conversion like this with an Nexus hub..
    And can it take the power of a larger engine?

2. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

the nexus would be shredded like beef. I am doing a jackshaft setup I should be posting pictures soon of the build as I do it.

I am going to use external sprockets as they are much stronger.

3. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Err...Looks kinda like a Rube Goldberg Machine.
    Simpler is better imho.

Those that use a derailer 'n chain for gas powered multi-speeds should note that the best most above average cyclists can manage is 1/2HP. Or so I have read.

4. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

yep my main concern is the rivets that hold the cassette together however it does not bother me on the derailier at all as that will not have any substantial pressure on it as its the return side.

Will see how it does but yes I am going to use it and the way I see it is I am going to use gearing ratios to try to prevent having to do really harsh starts and so forth. The less it has to work to get it moving say 56-60 tooth sprocket the less pressure on that cogset correct? It would turn it easier?

Then when I am speeding up I can change the ratios.

5. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Guest

Ok, So are you saying that you tried running a nexus in that configuration and it failed?

6. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Guest

Yeah, It does look pretty impromptu right? Also, I wonder what is meant by a 1/2 hp? Human power is at such a low rpm that its almost all torque.. If you run an engine that has something like 2hp at 6000rpm and very little torque along with a Nexus-8 mounted in a jackshaft configuration and spinning the transmission faster than you would as if it were inside the wheel would it survive? thats the big question I suppose. Is seems that this guy with the above said website has done just that.. but how far can you take it? 3hp, 4hp? Seems like an expensive experiment is the only way to really find out..

7. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

No I just know from everything I have read/heard that the nexus are designed for how do you say it... leisure riding and by doing that they are prone to failure in high demand environments such as mountain biking. So if they fail there I highly doubt they would hold up with a motor on it.

Thats a awful lot of money to shred a planetary gearbox.

8. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Guest

Yep, Lotta' money.. But somebody's got to do it!

9. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

10. Egor

Egor Guest

11. OldPete

OldPete Guest

As a child we had a game, What's Wrong with this Picture.

That vid brought that game to mind. :shock: :cool:

12. 7 speed nexus

I was accquainted with a guy named Kevin, who jackshafted a hopped up 80 into a nexus, went like a scalded dog till he blew it up, the nexus will NOT take it, generally a derailer will, Mike

13. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Guest

Re: 7 speed nexus

Ok, So you mean an 80cc engine into a Nexus mounted like a jackshaft or an 80cc engine into a jackshaft and then to a Nexus wheel?

14. Kevin's Bike

I used to have pics of Kevin's cruiser, but, he made a jackshaft, and ran to the people side. Then he had a freewheel people sprocket to keep from beating his feet to death. The jackshaft chain ran back to the ill-fated Nexus, in the drop-out where it belongs, Mike

15. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

I just plan on removing the pedals for the time being and maybe going to freewheel. I still have not decided yet given my plans for the Tecumseh engine :)

Those dang freewheel cranks are 150$ or there abouts to get it all said and done :/

16. OldPete

OldPete Guest

17. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Guest

Well, not a ton of concrete data on the use of internally geared hubs being used on motored bikes, A few examples of success and a few of failure.. Seems as if using a derailer is more common and more reliable, yuck. I just don't dig the idea of having a chain flopping every which way. I wish there was a very small 3-5 speed dog-type transmission similar to what might have been on a pre-30's motorcycle. Something thats smaller than 3" or so on any given side and has a manual clutch. It would be great to mount something like this close to the engine and have a nice, clean looking-looking motorbike.
    How does that sound? Anyone else wish for something like this?