Engine Trouble 80cc ht won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

rider30ab

Local time
12:53 AM
Hello. new here and any help would be great! first build and got engine and parts new. Installed motor and parts then went to fire up and nothing. not a thing. got spark but seems very light even with ngk b6hs plug. piston moves when plug is out and i am assuming when plug is in. the weird thing is is when pedals are being cranked there is not one sound of the engine even trying to turn over. no popping, no nothing! I looked at specs on the cdi. output on wires and mine isn't anywhere close to the specs. yet i am still getting some spark. like i said, very faint. magneto is good(all readings are right on with those specs i received. been at it for a week. any help would be great. going crazy here! thanks

Can you tell if the engine is turning over, or is the clutch slipping and just nothing happening? If the clutch is engaging properly then it should turn the engine over. If not, then it needs adjusting to engage the engine.
You should at least be able to hear the engine's compression making a little noise through the exhaust and carb. It should be hard to push from a standstill with the clutch out. Check the flower adjust nut on the clutch, I've heard a couple guys got engines with stripped flower nuts. This would make the clutch way too loose and simply slip.
Let me know if this helped.
Big Red.

Clutch?

I'm going to try to further describe how the engine and bike SHOULD act together as a unit.
Of course, with the clutch lever pulled in the rear wheel should roll freely, letting the motor chain spin free around the engines drive gear.
When the lever is let out it should almost lock the rear wheel, but not quite really. It should make the rear tire skid if no weight is on the bike. With a little weight on the bike it will lock the tire to the pavement thus forcing the wheel to spin and in turn, making the engine turn over. When this is done you should hear the engine making a noise like Thunk, Thunk, Thunk. This is the piston coming to the top, making compression, getting past it, then coming around to do it again. So it's either the Thunk noise or a running engine.
If all you're getting is a little drag on the rear wheel and no "Thunk" then your clutch is probably slipping. If this is the case then you can either do a search on clutch adjustment, (recommended,) or get back to me and I'll talk you through it.
Big Red.

Not sure if this can help, but when I got my bike the clutch was totally stuck(it didn't help that I had nothing to compare my bike to, nobody I knew had one) and I didn't know what the heck was going on....I had to knock it with a hammer to get it unstuck. Those kits sitting on a ship from China then sitting in a warehouse for long periods could cause this I was told.

Get a BIG hammer.

Thats right pedalman, If it don't work:unsure:, hit it with a hammer:giggle:
Any particular area this force should be applied?:devilish:

Not sure if this can help, but when I got my bike the clutch was totally stuck(it didn't help that I had nothing to compare my bike to, nobody I knew had one) and I didn't know what the heck was going on....I had to knock it with a hammer to get it unstuck. Those kits sitting on a ship from China then sitting in a warehouse for long periods could cause this I was told.

If the clutch was stuck then the engine would not turn over, not even with the spark plug out. The clutch is turned by the small bevel gear from the crankshaft. Then transfered to the drive gear shaft through the clutch assembly. If the thing turns over when the plug is out then it is probably a slipping clutch. The extra pressure of compression on the clutch assembly is too much on a loose clutch to turn over the engine.

Last edited:
The engine turns over with the plug out. For sure.
When I pull the clutch lever in the rear tire turns freely. For sure.
Without the lever pulled in the rear tire will not turn without me on the bike. The rear tire drags.
When I'm on the bike and pop the clutch going down hill the rear tire turns just like it should when trying to fire. EXCEPT the engine doesn't fire. No pop, nothing.

I put gas in the plug hole and tried to kick start the engine. Nothing
I put gas in the intake manifold. Nothing

All of this has been done with the original ignition coil and a new one. The spark plug is getting fire.

??????

Then it acts exactly as it should except no "pop". I'm sittin here thinking my A** off. Coming up blank.(Wait a minute, here I go.)... Are you using the spark plug that came with it? Also the plug wire that comes with these things are carp.It could be a weak and defective CDI unit. If you're still not getting the voltage specs required out of the CDI then that is likely your problem. a weak spark will give you fits couse it looks like yer gettin spark, right? But you would have to run it downhill at 50mph to get it to start. A weak CDI can do the same thing as a weak coil. Spark LOOKS OK, but no go. Since you've replaced the coil, the next things are the CDI, plug and wire. A good auto type wire will work and get yourself a NGKB6HS plug, (Part# NGK7534.) If this don't do it then I'm outa suggestions.
Big Red.

If the clutch was stuck then the engine would not turn over, not even with the spark plug out. The clutch is turned by the small bevel gear from the crankshaft. Then transfered to the drive gear shaft through the clutch assembly. If the thing turns over when the plug is out then it is probably a slipping clutch. The extra pressure of compression on the clutch assembly is too much on a loose clutch to turn over the engine.

I mean't clutch stuck in engaged position--not totally frozen engine,sorry for misunderstanding. It wouldn't disengage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back