9.2 mile commute now

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by unior, Aug 1, 2010.

1. unior

unior Member

Just wondering who commutes regularly by motorbike this far? I am running a huasheng/bmp kit. Kevlar tire, front suspesions, seat post suspension, slime thick tube. It's about a 25 minute ride and it's about all I can handle! I have no license so this is my sole form of transportation. Who out there rides farther daily?

2. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I think there is someone making a long distance tour doing more miles a day than that...

3. unior

unior Member

The reliability thing scares me. My carb has a tendency to clog at the worst moments. Which requires some dissasembly and carb cleaner blasts.

4. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

The name Augidog rings a bell.....

5. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

that is it... and his journey log is the top sticky in this forum... he's doing days of 60-100 miles. I think 9 miles will be fine.

6. caduceus

caduceus New Member

Last Wednesday, 28 July I took the "Mad Martian" to work. A round trip of 80 miles. I plan on taking it again a couple of times next week. I really need a more comfortable saddle to make that commute a regular thing.

Attached Files:

7. unior

unior Member

Your telling me. Mine is no fun.

8. Bigfourty

Bigfourty New Member

I currently ride 9.8 miles one way to work 2 times a day for a total of almost 40 miles. The bike is a Magna, and mainly on dirt roads. As soon as I get a day off, I'm moving,(sucks, had the key to the place for 4 days now and just have no time or energy to move into my new place) making the 1 way commute 16.8 miles. Had the same problem with the seat, and was complaining to my buddy about it. He works nights at Chrysler and told me he had a seat for me. Came by after work the next day with a comfy one for me. Just couldnt figure out why it was in his lunchbox.... Anyways, it says on it "workmen cycles". maybe you could find it on the net. Comparable to the schwinn seat they sell at Meijers for $25, but IMO much more comfy! Hope this helps.

Mike

9. unior

unior Member

2 times per day would drive me bonkers.

10. skrufryder

skrufryder Member

eh i ride from one end of seattle to the other um 20-40 miles me and the rest of the club stop for a beer or coffe every couple of miles on ride days. I dont realy notice how comfortable i am. try to get from point a to b as fast as possible less time riding on a bad seat i guess.

11. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

This is probably the one. I bought one for my brother's Harbor Freight build. It's a big comfortable couch, and it says "Worksman Cycles" on the back.
    http://www.bikeworldusa.com/product_info.php/cPath/124_25_26_62/products_id/541

12. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I have a bad back & neck & there is no way I can ride so far on one of these .

13. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

I've seen a few MBs in Albuquerque, i assume a few are commuters, but personally i don't feel comfortable using the motor in urban traffic (i pedal in towns, even small towns), though i am comfortable using it along highways, even without good shoulders. I rarely travel 9 miles at a stretch on tour, i stop a lot. My seat is a combo, Avenir Passage with a Schwinn gel cover, pretty comfortable, but stopping a lot and standing out of the saddle helps, too.

14. nsxcorvette

nsxcorvette Member

30-40 miles a day

I have been using my HT 80cc (60ishcc) as a daily commuter for about a month now. Ride it 30-40 miles every day. Only problems have been bad gas, a clutch adjustment, spark plug and cap. Loving it so far. Really love the face on the gas station attendant when I prepay a $1.50 and he looks at me everytime like I'm crazy. Gas mileage has been awesome. Only fill up every 3-4 days. Ordered my second engine last week!
    CareyWb

15. Bigfourty

Bigfourty New Member

Sorry guys, new restaurant, been working 16 hour days!
    He brought that one also, but it looked so comfortable I was afraid I'd fall asleep in it:D I believe mine is the next size smaller.

Mike

16. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

how does riding a MB give you bad gas? sure that wasn't the baked beans? :D

my bike will be done Wednesday night :D I have all day off Thursday which means I have all day to work on the initial break-in process. Riding to work will mean 30 miles a day for me

17. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

I have a 61 year old skinny boney butt..3 different saddels still didnt work for me on some of these red brick roads we have here..I bought a Cloud 9 , 10inch wide seat and a a adjustable compression post..real nice ride now and looks good

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  18. nsxcorvette

nsxcorvette Member

bad gas....

I think the bad gas was caused by the vibrating 2-stroke after eating eggs for breakfast...

19. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  20. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Oh yeah! He has got some serious miles under his tires too!