98cc Villiers beach cruiser

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by harry76, Apr 22, 2011.

1. harry76

harry76 Member

Hi guys, here is a project i have just started work on. I got the bike for free off a mate, i stripped it, added the seat, bars (flipped). The wheels are downhill singlespeed disc brake that i painted. I also made a disc brake mount for the rear disc. The motor is a 1950's 98cc Villiers that i plan to mount direct drive to a 20" rim mounted via brackets to the 26" rim. It will have a suicide clutch.....

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/harry761/bikes/P3110068.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/harry761/bikes/P3110067.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/harry761/bikes/P3110058.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/harry761/P3160125.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/harry761/P3160124.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

You'll have a cool machine.

What is that car parked next to it? Looks like an early 60"s Plymouth Valiant, but you're in the UK, aren't you?

Whatever it is, it looks neat too.

3. harry76

harry76 Member

Thanks Woods.....Im from Australia and its a Valiant AP5 Safari wagon. Its similar styling

4. harry76

harry76 Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
  5. Ozi

Ozi Member

paint ya bike the same color as the val... it will look ultra cool

6. harry76

harry76 Member

Yeah that would look cool but Im thinking about leaving it bare metal and let it rust a little. I really like this seat on this bike and i like the seat ratty. I plan to have the bike looking old and ratty with nice shiny rims and tyres. Much like you see on ratrods.

7. harry76

harry76 Member

But you never know..... plans change

8. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

Good on ya, mate. Slip that seat back over the tire a little bit and you're in there.

9. harry76

harry76 Member

Yeah i probably will move the seat back, i plan on doing some more mods to the bike, but atm im mainly concentrating on the motor. I got a pulley for the motor and had a thread machined in it to match the shaft. Now ill fit the motor and now know how far the sheave will be away from the wheel so i can make a start on that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. harry76

harry76 Member

I tack welded the engine mounts in tonight....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. samuari86

samuari86 Member

love the bike my friend thats soming i wood love to to some day,just keep the pics coming

12. harry76

harry76 Member

I removed the kickstart sprocket. I was going to make an exhaust but tried on the standard one and i quite like it. I may just need to put a 90 degree bend in the exhaust pipe where it exits.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. harry76

harry76 Member

14. harry76

harry76 Member

I tried a set of springers on. They are too long so if iuse them ill need to get the thread lengthened.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. luke

luke Guest

great machine they seemed to have built those old villiers for ever by the million.here is a pick of an old 1933 french monet goyon i picked up with a similar engine.both 98cc used in lawnmowers,bikes and other applications.

Attached Files:

16. harry76

harry76 Member

Thanks for the pic, that is awesome. I have a couple of old ladies vintage bikes and that same motor so i may have to stretch one of those frames and build one similar to yours. I really like that. Does it go very well? What sort of speeds do you get out of it?

17. silverbear

silverbear New Member

Hello Harry,
    Your bike looks super. I'm just now fitting up a 98cc Villiars in a Worksman Newsboy frame so am keen to follow your progress.
    Luke,
    The Monet is wonderful. If you would give more photos it would be much appreciated. I am especially interested in details of the power line... from engine to clutch to driven sprocket on the rear wheel. It looks like a jack shaft is employed, but I can't tell if the primary drive is from pulley to belt and then at the jack shaft from pulley on one end to sprocket on the other driving the chain to the rear wheel driven sprocket. Is that how it is done? Please share more details.
    There is growing interest in these Villiars midgets... good looking durable engines with a lot of potential for powering bicycles. List member Fasteddy of British Columbia is also doing a Villiars build. And so is Cam NZ of New Zealand. I'm in northeastern Minnesota, USA. Pictures below show the Worksman getting a heart transplant.
    Silverbear

Attached Files:

18. BikerInFla

BikerInFla New Member

Harry,

Cool pictures

Silverbear,

Is that a bleed valve then a fuel filter coming off the rear of your fuel tank?
    Nice ride btw

Rick :helmet:

19. silverbear

silverbear New Member

Thanks,
    It is a fuel shut off valve. Yes, it is a fuel filter made from copper with stainless steel wool inside to act as a filtering medium.
    SB

20. silverbear

silverbear New Member

Hello Harry,
    Just wondering how your project is coming. Post some update photos when you have the chance, please. I'm looking for you to figure everything out in advance so I don't make too many wrong turns in my build. I decided on mine I needed more room in the frame to get the engine more upright, so it is off to the welder to have the front down tube removed and a girl's Schwinn welded in it's place. Then mounting ears. You're way ahead of me.
    SB