99 Whizzer brake light.

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by jbcruisin, May 21, 2009.

1. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

Has anyone else done this? My 99 has the brake light switch working off the coaster brake arm. I laced up a Shimano hub but my brake light switch works off my coaster brake arm. The arm won't fit my Shimano hub. The 99 arm has a slot in the arm & the Shimano brake is kind of like a spline (yes I should have taken pictures). I thought I'd clamp them in a vise & file out the Whizzer arm to fit the spline shaft on the Shimano hub. I did that to a Harley sprocket years ago because I wanted lower gearing than was available. Well, this Whizzer coaster brake arm was hard steel. Real hard. So I heated it with a little propane torch & let it sit overnight & the next day it filed easy. Now my Bike has the Shimano hub & brake lights.

2. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Did you re-harden the brake arm after doing your filing/mod.s? If not You may want to consider this especially considering the extra stresses upon the arm when motorizing... With the metal now softened It will, over a short time, wear down the work you put into it and one day-Uh-oh! No Brakes! Easy enough to do, reheat it to glowing bright cherry red, and quench it quickly and thoroughly in water- I won't recommend the oil bath case hardening technique, as it is a bit dangerous, and I do not know what experience level you may or may not have in this... but just something to consider...

3. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

I thought about that. I figure that I grease my brakes every few hundred miles & I'll have to keep an eye on that. But that's a good thing to remember.
    Jay
    P.S. Quenton's in Dawson Springs at the Big Rally there. We all have to eat our heart's out wishing we were there.