A Battery Source

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by loquin, May 2, 2009.

1. loquin

loquin Active Member

that you might be interested in. I've bought from the before; (SLAs) they've always delivered, and the prices are good.

I was VERY interested, the last time I checked, with their high capacity NiMH batteries.

up to 2.9AH from a double-A, and 10AH (!) from a "D" cell (flashlight) battery...

Aventrade

2. Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle Member

This may make it a whole new ballgame for electric bikes. A home built battery pack could be made of virtually any voltage and when a cell dies you replace just that one instead of the whole battery pack. Which was one of my reasons for choosing a Happy Time over electric.

3. heathyoung

heathyoung Member

The problem with these high capacity D cells is that they have low C rates for their size - As low as 1C (ie. you can only get 10A out of them) wheras the Sub C's used in battery drills etc. have a lower capacity, but much higher C rates - You can pull 40A out of some of these puppies...

4. loquin

loquin Active Member

I suppose you could wire 4 in parallel...

5. heathyoung

heathyoung Member

You could, but then you need to consider charging + cell balancing - you cant just charge a NiMh with constant current.

6. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

i didn't fool around with nicad I went straight from SLA to Li Ion. Shopped for about a year terry at http://www.hightekbikes.com/ had the best quality at the best price.

7. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

10A discharge rate would be more than enough for bicycle electrical systems when it comes to lighting and horns though. You could make a sick 10 to 12 cell pack for around $100. You can run a lot of lighting for a long time with 10AH with the benefit of lighter weight, adjustable form factor and more recharge cycles.
    I personally still prefer lithium technologies though. I keep the NIMH for "normal" smaller backup lighting running AA or AAA cells.

Nice find, some interesting products on that site. To know they're reliable and not a card number trap is also a big plus.

8. loquin

loquin Active Member

I've bought from them several times. No complaints.