Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by davidsis, Jun 9, 2008.

1. davidsis

davidsis Guest

Anyone know of a good web site is that I can trouble shoot my Air Conditioner in my house I have had good luck with my washing machine from help on this board maybe A/C too.

2. bmoody

bmoody Member

3. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Is the compressor turning on? Are both fans turning on, inside fan and the outside condenser fan? Is it just blowing warm or just cool air?
  4. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Those are the right questions- here's some simple home stuff (based on electric central air):

If the inside blower (furnace fan, perhaps) comes on, but it is not cool and the outside compressor does not come on- check the breaker for the compressor.

If the inside blower will not come on...check that breaker. If the power flashes out momentarily or "browns" when the A/C is running, it will blow the breakers.

If neither the inside blower, nor the outside compressor turn on, see if the thermostat is working- good time to replace it with a programable one if you don't have one already.

If both the inside blower and outside compressor run, but it is not cool- I think you are either looking for a refrigerant recharge, or you may have a leak, maybe both.

Of course, there is more thanthis, but it's a start.
  5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

If the system runs, but just isn't cooling adequately anymore, check the cooling system heat exchanger. A couple years ago a plumber replaced some piping in the bathroom here, and in the process he opened the cooling system chase to incoming unfiltered air. Our AC wasn't working woth a darn, then 2 months ago it started icing up and leaking through the floor to the apt below. So, we checked it. There must have been 10 lbs of accumulated dust/lint/cat hair/etc coating the heat exchanger, in which moisture was collecting and forming ice, blocking air flow. Once cleaned, it began working just fine again.

6. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Cleaning the outside unit with a garden hose can work wonders if its really dirty........use a pressure nozell with the hose and when pointing at the aluminum fins do it straight on not at an angle so you dont bend them. Without a description of what its doing it could be anything. A/C systems are pretty simple beasts and can generally be fixed easily.[were talking household units ok]