A couple of modifications I made to the Errand Runner

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by itskeith, Dec 22, 2009.

1. itskeith

itskeith Guest

Hello Motored Bikers, I have always carried the tools I need to repair a flat tire but, getting the rear wheel off without laying the bike down would not be possible since I have a 4 stroke motor. My simple solution was to make a T shaped bar, and weld a holder that it can plug into onto the bike. The result works great, not only for flats but rim cleaning and chain oiling.

The second idea was my headlight. I stay away from riding at night as a general principle but, I have a Bell LED light that I use it for increasing my daytime visibility; it has a flashing mode which increases my ability to be seen. The problem was that he light used 4 AAA batteries and they didn't seem to last long especially, when I forget to turn it off at a stop or two. My solution was to change the light to 4 D cell batteries, wiring it to an old military flashlight housing I modified. It seems to work great and the location seems like a good fit. I hope some find these idea useful and Merry Christmas.

Attached Files:

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

cool mods Keith :)
    the bike looks good !!!

3. itskeith

itskeith Guest

Thanks Bill, this bike has sure worked out well. I wanted a bike that was uncomplicated and dependable for running errands and that is just what I ended up with. Going on 600 miles with zero problems.

4. Great idea on the T-bar support. I've found myself wondering how the heck am I going to hold the bike up, remove the rear wheel, move wheel out of the way and THEN, figure out how I'm going to set the bike down so that it doesn't tip over or lay down on the pedals, crank or exhaust? Too many moving parts! This solution solves some of the most complicated questions. I'm wondering how it could be implemented so that it would be easily transferrable to any bike. Hmmmm?

thanks for the tip!

5. itskeith

itskeith Guest

You are welcome for the tip. With all the different configurations of bikes, it would be pretty difficult to come up with something that would provide a universal fit. What I came up with would bolt on, but, forming the metal so it would clamp would be a pain. Welding would still probably be necessary to fasten the square tubing to the bottom side of the clamp. On the ER bike, I found some Mtn bike fenders. The rear one just clamped onto the seat tube but I had to fabricate a bracket for the front one. The welded bracket worked perfectly but took a couple of hours to build. Such is the life of a motorbiker. Take a look at the simple drawing, it shows how I would do it.

Attached Files:

6. That's kind of what I was thinking. Just a simple way to clamp it onto any bike that you currently might be working on. I'm also wondering about making it high enough so that I could remove the tire from out under a complete fender without needing to have someone hold the bike. Don't want to get too many moving parts but, the more it can do, the less I HAVE TO.

thanks Kieth