A custom title for those who have passed

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by KilroyCD, Mar 4, 2010.

?

What custom title would be appropriate for members who have passed?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2010.
  1. Gone West

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Fallen MBc Member

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. RIP

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Crossed the Bridge

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Gone, but not forgotten

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Watching Over Us

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

There has been some behind the scenes discussion regarding a custom title for those members who have passed on, such as Rhett, Simonator and Bamabikeguy.
    We felt that it would be good to post a poll on titles that have been suggested and have the membership vote on it. Please have a look and vote. This poll will close on 3/18/10.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010

2. augidog

augidog Banned

a good idea, but might i suggest another option?

19XX-20XX R.I.P.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  3. azbill

azbill Active Member

I like augi's suggestion,,,that way people know how old the member was immediately

4. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

I like augi's suggestion also. But if it was a title of a forum wouldnt it be hard to list each person and date in the title? I do think it is a great way to tag a thread though.

5. augidog

augidog Banned

just the small text next to yer avatar, stan...as in "MBc Member"...it won't affect anything else :cool:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I like augi's suggestion as well, but I'd add below that as a second line of the titlle "Only those unremembered are ever truly gone".

7. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I like that Simon!

8. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I know this doesn't belong here, but this thread is a little depressing... If I was involved in this subject matter, I'd like somebody to make my Brothers laugh.

In tribute to the pursuit and quest of mechanical knowledge, this is cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ziwuIpnVY&feature=related

9. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

I totaly misunderstood then. In that case I like augi's idea better than the one I voted on. Clean simple and gives enough info to find out more.

10. Tom

Tom Active Member

We also might not know for sure the exact birth/death year for all fallen members?

11. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

A simple "gone but not forgotten" would probably suffice. "RIP" seems a little tacky.

12. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Ok... I am flipping more than a politician. Since the dates may not be available, I stick with my original vote. Thank you Ghost.
    In my defence I really am not flipping. I would still like to see the dates added as Augi suggested, if they are known. So gbnf 19XX-20XX would be good and if dates were not available, then just gbnf.

13. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Make that two.

14. augidog

augidog Banned

when it comes to this stuff...when it comes to trying to figure out how to memorialize friends...what doesn't feel tacky? agreed "RIP" is tacky, but it's to the point & easily recognizable...however, it implies unrest or a less-than-peaceful life...dang...flippin' politics...i guess "RIP" just won't do for a MotoredBiker, eh?

death is for the living to deal with, i recently learned that the hard way...it's difficult to feel this out, trying to speak for someone who's no longer here...but, i can imagine bamabikeguy voting for something like "i was alive, now i'm not"...i certainly don't see him getting too flowery or sentimental...just the facts, ma'am ;)

imo, the dates alone would prolly suffice. but i think "G B N F" alone would do, too.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  15. will_start

will_start Member

ok, my 2 cents.
    I even critique my own ideas.

What about an area/section on the site, where a collection of the stuff the guy/gal did is posted.
    I think this is not useful, as you can search by login name, post humus.

Or an area where family/friends can upload tributes/pictures etc.
    This may be valid, as it collects all the ones past together.
    Bit like a cemetry, if you will.

From personal experience, Simonator passed, and I didn't know until
    I came across an unrelated thread.

I voted Watching Over Us, but maybe that has too much of a religious link.

I have no answers, only questions.

16. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

There is a thread similar to what you are talking about in the saftey section. Check it out at
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=25751

17. augidog

augidog Banned

i'm not trying to sway, not at all, merely sharing like i encourage everyone to do...this is sorta like a tattoo, it should be thought about for a while...i'm uncomfortable with a vote & deadline...however, in the long run, i'll say i will live with any custom-title that results from open discussion that's allowed to run its' course...i pay my respects regardless of the words we eventually choose to use, and when i thought that last sentence, i thought this...

how about just plain

"Not Forgotten"

18. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

19. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

excellent Idea. Ilike the shortened GBNF. Not forgotten, plus dates if known.

20. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Except perhaps if it should refer to Ride in Peace....
    as it was in the case of tribute to the esteemed Sheldon Brown:

RIP SB.jpg