A different kind of 2 stroke...

Discussion in 'Video Gallery' started by johnincali, Oct 13, 2016.

1. johnincali

johnincali New Member

Hello all, after watching Harley and the Davidson's I got inspired to make an old timer type motorbike... The engine is my version of a Ricardo Dolphin which was produced in 1904 Here's some video...

Here's a drawing of the original engine.[​IMG]

Steve Best likes this.

2. johnincali

johnincali New Member

3. Nate888

Nate888 Member

holy crap that's awesome

looks like it could be a little dodgy to straddle it w/ all those heavy spinning parts? I guess you just gotta keep your legs back?

what kind of exhaust? it sounds brutal, primitive & kinda cool

4. johnincali

johnincali New Member

No Exhaust Nate... just open ports...

5. Nate888

Nate888 Member

no wonder I couldn't find it then haha. do you have to wear ear protection?

6. johnincali

johnincali New Member

I wouldn't wear that because I like the way it sounds.. It's not really that loud... beside I'm a crane operator / piledriver.... most of the stuff I'm around is a lot louder than this ... I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter in my case...

7. Nate888

Nate888 Member

haha nice. that thing's super F'ing cool. you actually ride it some, yea?

8. johnincali

johnincali New Member

sure... I ride it a lot.... it's a ton of fun...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016
    Nate888 likes this.
  9. Nate888

Nate888 Member

I like it

w/ no exhaust pipe, don't you get lower power & danger of dust fouling your motor on the scavenge cycle? if you like the authenticity & loudness of no exhaust, how about running a straight diffuser (megaphone) pipe?

10. Nate888

Nate888 Member

give it even more torque, bit more power & probably just tighten up that Gattling Gun sound, probably I think

11. johnincali

johnincali New Member

Hi Nick, This isn't your normal 2 stroke.... It uses the second piston for scavenging... not the crankcase pressure, and it makes really good torque without a pipe... I'm not worried about dust .. This is a crude machine... not some finicky high tech engine.. Someday I might turn down the cylinder so I can make a ring to go around it and fit a pipe but it's really not a priority... here's a previous version with another 2 stroke where I had a pipe...

Here's some video of an original racer... V twin 4 stroke... notice it also has cylinder ports...

And here's a night run... Mine also shoots flame out similar to this at night... it's pretty cool... I think I'll keep it that way...

Nate888 likes this.
  12. johnincali

johnincali New Member

Today I added a 2 speed....
    [​IMG]

Nate888 and Steve Best like this.
  13. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Hi John
    Your bike is very cool, if you bring it out to the Sat Oct 22nd Socal Motor Bicycle Racing event
    it will be a big hit.
    If you come on Friday 21st you can cruise it around the track at Grange Motor Circuit in Apple Valley, CA

johnincali likes this.
  14. johnincali

johnincali New Member

thanks for the invite.. i'm in sac so it's a little too far... wish i was closer...

MotorBicycleRacing likes this.
  15. Nate888

Nate888 Member

whoa it keeps getting cooler. I'd never heard of a second piston for scavenging before... what a trip. if I'm ever up in sac I'll have to try & look you up. I'd love to see those machines up close

16. johnincali

johnincali New Member