A eBike rider with an interest in a 4 stroke setup

kauaikit

Local time
12:07 PM
Hello all....I'm a five bike, eBike rider, & had a interest in a 4 stroke conversion or even seeing if anyone has developed a small bio-diesel motor conversion for a bike.

So, how does the motorized bike compare to an ebike in reliability, noise, costs, & the "fun" meter?

Thanks.

Kit
S.CA USA

Hey Kit....welcome.

Reliability.....probably ebike (till the batteries give out)
noise......definitely ebike
cost.......probably IC
fun......hey, they are all fun

Other than the Lohmann, I don't think anybody has come up with anything for bicycles. There are some motorcycle conversions that work though.

Welcome to the forum. We have some members that burn alcohol in their 2 strokes (motocrossers did that for years). They use veggie 2 stroke oil to stay bio-friendly. Alcohol exhaust does not smell good at all.
I haven't seen a successful diesel or biodiesel motorized bike. Diesels are heavier, vibrate more and require a very sturdy host bike frame. I'd love for my motorbike exhaust to smell like french fries.
I have have seen a few diesel motorcycle builds. The Kawasaki KLR military version was a diesel.
If you are determined to go biodiesel, it might be much easier to mount the engine on a pusher trailer.

Back