A eBike rider with an interest in a 4 stroke setup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kauaikit, Jan 9, 2011.

1. kauaikit

kauaikit New Member

Hello all....I'm a five bike, eBike rider, & had a interest in a 4 stroke conversion or even seeing if anyone has developed a small bio-diesel motor conversion for a bike.

So, how does the motorized bike compare to an ebike in reliability, noise, costs, & the "fun" meter?

S.CA USA

2. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Hey Kit....welcome.

Reliability.....probably ebike (till the batteries give out)
    noise......definitely ebike
    cost.......probably IC
    fun......hey, they are all fun

Other than the Lohmann, I don't think anybody has come up with anything for bicycles. There are some motorcycle conversions that work though.
  3. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. We have some members that burn alcohol in their 2 strokes (motocrossers did that for years). They use veggie 2 stroke oil to stay bio-friendly. Alcohol exhaust does not smell good at all.
    I haven't seen a successful diesel or biodiesel motorized bike. Diesels are heavier, vibrate more and require a very sturdy host bike frame. I'd love for my motorbike exhaust to smell like french fries.
    I have have seen a few diesel motorcycle builds. The Kawasaki KLR military version was a diesel.
    If you are determined to go biodiesel, it might be much easier to mount the engine on a pusher trailer.