a funny but true story

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by masterx1234, Feb 22, 2011.

1. masterx1234

masterx1234 Member

last summer when i was riding my bike with a bmp kit and a monsterscooterparts motor i noticed a very loud clanging sound and the smell of burning plastic, i immediately thought my motor was having a meltdown!, but i was wrong!, i noticed that when i pulled the pull string it didnt coil back in, so what i had to to was completely rebuild the pull start from what i had laying around, and heres how i did it, ok so everything in the pull start was pretty much ruined now, so what i did was took the coil out of my lawn mower and used it to replace the broken coil, and i used nails for the bars inside of it that grabbed on the motor, and it worked better than before!

2. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

so what does this have to do with the burning plastic smell?

3. masterx1234

masterx1234 Member

it did, a small amount of plastic was melted in the pull start, but was usable

4. arkives1

arkives1 Member

soooooo, how you gonna cut the grass? :whistling:

5. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

hmmm, I didn't think there were any plastic parts inside the pull starters.

6. shell shock

shell shock Member

with his law... oh.. i see what you did there!

to op: i would not really on this as a permanent fix, more as a "until parts come in" fix. but kudos to you on your resourcefulness.

7. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

my huasheng starter died. little wire pawls wore out n snapped...

so replaced em with some hi tensile music wire :)

then the actual case itself cracked for no apparent reason... at which point spring unwound, poo hit the proverbial and actual fan, so i ripped it off (cut it off with the first handsaw i found, being knock off time at work and in a rush...) pulled out the starter cord, and used just the string wound round the starter drum for two weeks while i waited for the replacement... yeah, courier decided theyd return it as undeliverable... hence 3 days became 2 weeks...

8. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Hand start the mower as if it were an airplane! :jester: