A Futile Effort

Sidewinder Jerry

Local time
5:40 PM
Some people just don't like being past no matter how futile their efforts are to stay in front of you. Just the other day a Cannondale peddle only road bike was in front of me at a red light. On the other side of the light was a very steep hill. When the light changed I was going to pass him but he speeded up. We were side by side. Then my motorized 5 speed autoshift bike changed gears and I pulled slightly ahead. He had a surprised look on his face when he heard my bike change from first to second. He stood up and caught up with me then the hill became a little less steep and my bike shifted into third gear. I pulled ahead again. He started peddling harder and was slightly behind me. The road leveled out. Then my bike shifted into forth gear and I pulled way ahead of him. I looked in my mirror at the defeated look on his face. My bike then shifted into fifth and he disappeared as I left him way behind.

Now that he knows he'll probably never try it again. I've probably have spent as much on my bike as he did on his.

Let him catch you. He'll probably ask you to build the same for him. :)

Most of the cyclist riding very expense road bikes feels its a sin to put an engine on a bicycle. They hate what we ride. Being passed by us on a department store bike really burst their bubble.

Put that guy on a huffy, and you on a race bike (without engine) and I bet he smokes you.I've never had anything but smiles and waves from the lycra gang.

Most of the cyclist riding very expense road bikes feels its a sin to put an engine on a bicycle. They hate what we ride.

The most evil; filthy dirty looks i get are from the male crowd of Spandex wearing mountain bikers who have spent $8,000 on their bike.
It eats them up inside that someone who has spent $450 on a base model, not only looks better in the game than they do, but also gets the attention of the ladies who (with surprisingly similar reaction) convey the impression that a motorized bicycle is a smart idea.
Even worse is when their mega dollar high maintenance; smoking hot girlfriends smile or give you a wave when riding along a cycle trail. That just eats those guys up so bad. I'm surprised they don't spontaneously combust, leaving nothing behind except a small quantity of green goo.

Fabian I've told the spandex warriors the same thing. To the average person, their $2000+ bike just looks like any other bicycle. The only one admiring their bike is another cyclist. Our bikes get instant recognition and admiration by the average person. They really hate that to.

What also has those guys cutting their wrists with envy is when i pull up at a popular cycling cafe and people seem to come out of nowhere; pouring themselves over my bike; wanting to know how it all works and how it was designed etc.

No one gives a flying f*&k about Mr Spandex's $8,000 pushbike, of which it doesn't even come with a bicycle engine as standard equipment, let alone the "cool" factor that goes with having motorization.

I pedal more than I motor, but I have to admit there is something
wickedly gratifying about zipping past a yuppie on a $2000 bike
with my $15 boneyard Giant on a hill.

Back