A Futile Effort

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by LR Jerry, Sep 10, 2013.

1. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

Some people just don't like being past no matter how futile their efforts are to stay in front of you. Just the other day a Cannondale peddle only road bike was in front of me at a red light. On the other side of the light was a very steep hill. When the light changed I was going to pass him but he speeded up. We were side by side. Then my motorized 5 speed autoshift bike changed gears and I pulled slightly ahead. He had a surprised look on his face when he heard my bike change from first to second. He stood up and caught up with me then the hill became a little less steep and my bike shifted into third gear. I pulled ahead again. He started peddling harder and was slightly behind me. The road leveled out. Then my bike shifted into forth gear and I pulled way ahead of him. I looked in my mirror at the defeated look on his face. My bike then shifted into fifth and he disappeared as I left him way behind.

Now that he knows he'll probably never try it again. I've probably have spent as much on my bike as he did on his.

2. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

Let him catch you. He'll probably ask you to build the same for him. :)

3. LR Jerry

Most of the cyclist riding very expense road bikes feels its a sin to put an engine on a bicycle. They hate what we ride. Being passed by us on a department store bike really burst their bubble.

4. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

Put that guy on a huffy, and you on a race bike (without engine) and I bet he smokes you.I've never had anything but smiles and waves from the lycra gang.

5. LR Jerry

The hardcore peddle only guys are starting to figure that one out around here.

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The most evil; filthy dirty looks i get are from the male crowd of Spandex wearing mountain bikers who have spent $8,000 on their bike.
    It eats them up inside that someone who has spent $450 on a base model, not only looks better in the game than they do, but also gets the attention of the ladies who (with surprisingly similar reaction) convey the impression that a motorized bicycle is a smart idea.
    Even worse is when their mega dollar high maintenance; smoking hot girlfriends smile or give you a wave when riding along a cycle trail. That just eats those guys up so bad. I'm surprised they don't spontaneously combust, leaving nothing behind except a small quantity of green goo.

7. LR Jerry

Fabian I've told the spandex warriors the same thing. To the average person, their $2000+ bike just looks like any other bicycle. The only one admiring their bike is another cyclist. Our bikes get instant recognition and admiration by the average person. They really hate that to.

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

What also has those guys cutting their wrists with envy is when i pull up at a popular cycling cafe and people seem to come out of nowhere; pouring themselves over my bike; wanting to know how it all works and how it was designed etc.

No one gives a flying f*&k about Mr Spandex's $8,000 pushbike, of which it doesn't even come with a bicycle engine as standard equipment, let alone the "cool" factor that goes with having motorization.

9. LR Jerry

Yes the same thing has baldness to me at several places where they've been.

10. rawly old

rawly old Member

I pedal more than I motor, but I have to admit there is something
    wickedly gratifying about zipping past a yuppie on a $2000 bike
    with my $15 boneyard Giant on a hill.

11. LR Jerry

I know what you mean. They look at you like you're somehow cheating.

12. rawly old

rawly old Member

At 65, with all the horrific injuries I've suffered to my legs,
    I prefer to think of it as leveling the playing field. I still
    pass some of these guys pedaling my '78 road bike.

13. LR Jerry

What gets me is the ones who actually think they stand a chance.

14. rawly old

rawly old Member

never discourage optimism

15. LR Jerry

The optimism gets destroyed when they see how badly we beat them. I've seen many of them again and now they don't even try. They just move over and let me pass.

16. rawly old

rawly old Member

yeah okay,
    i get; motored bikes are faster than pedaling. If that makes you feel superior...
    whatever floats your boat.

17. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I like to tease those guys, by dropping my bike into top gear at low rpm; requiring me to stand on the pedals and give it some good pedal power, whilst not giving it enough pedal power to pull away.
    The spandex guys on their $10,000 Lance Armstrong replica racing bikes see that they might have a chance to teach me a lesson, so give it everything they've got; passing me on the outside. Naturally, i just drop it down a gear and pick up the pace a little; just (ever so slightly) edging in front of them. It's quite humorous to see those guys turning first red, then blue and purple in the face as they run perilously close to having a heart attack, in their attempt to teach me a lesson.

There comes a point when they give up and completely drop off the pace, upon which i slow down and offer to connect up my tow rope to haul them to the top of the hill :devilish:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  18. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

i especially enjoy the downhills...coasting away, no hands, taking corners at 80+, on a bmx bike... and overtaking all the lycra boys who are clinging dearly to their bars, holding the brakes on all the way...

strange, i only get the odd beep of appreciation from the odd car that can actually catch up on the uphill side, as i pull over, slow down, and let them by (really narrow windy road that cyclists LOVE blocking).

yet all lycra gets is real howlers as people lean on their horns, frustrated with watching 5 bulging gluteus maximii procede side by side at 5km/h in a 60 zone...

the also cant catch you when you kick them off, allowing a car or twenty to pass :jester:

i just had the great idea of carrying some mini roadspikes for them :biggrinjester:

19. rawly old

rawly old Member

Look, I'm as down on the smug elitism of some cyclists as
    anyone, but what I'm hearing hear is the same thing coming
    from MBers. I think we should remember that we both share
    a common cause which is to have a cycle friendly infrastructure
    for both bikes & MBs. These are the two most efficient and
    environmentally sound ways to travel And the cost of bike paths
    is a fraction of the tax dollars thrown at freeways & highways.
    In the struggle to change things, cyclists are our allies.

20. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Separate but equal

BRAVO Rawly, Everyone says what A$$es the spandex crowds are, THEN turn around and act the same way. I think we have to be the grownups here and at least TRY to get along with our fellow cyclist. We are after pretty much the same thing, recognition and respect on the road. Most of the guys I see on peddle only bikes think my motorized is cool. I've even turned a few of them into customers.
    Big Red.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013