A n00b with a n00b build.

2wheel trainwreck

Local time
10:16 PM
Hi. After watching all you folks whiz around on YouTube I caught the bug. My grub bug s**thawk gt5a arrived yesterday and today I took it for a spin. Four fidgety days waiting for it lol.

The platform is a pawnshop find; a Huffy Alumina 8250. It's a cheap PoS for sure, but when I bought it a few years ago, I really liked the unpainted polished aluminum look. Originally I intended to pedal it solely. I knew nothing about motorized bikes then.

Where I live the under 50cc (ie:49) rule no longer applies, so I will get a gov supplied VIN, pass the moped safety, insurance yada yada.

The brakes at speed could be better, but will grab enough to stall the engine when going slow. Eventually I am aiming for a 3spd hub with drum brakes f/r.
20160809_153934.jpg

Looks nice but aluminium frames are not really suitable for these , the vibrations tend to crack the welds in the frame, who knows it might last !

You have any probs with welds cracking? Guess there is many variables , i've never used an aluminium frame myself just based on others stories of their frames falling apart haha not something you want while riding flat out . Also i hope he has an exhaust for it .

I've never heard of any problems.... Between me and my buds we have built about 20 bikes, couple of aluminums, mostly steel bikes.... One CroMoly.

Frames are the last thing we think of breaking:)

The welding looks beefy and whoever welded it did a top notch job. I'm not concerned about it. If it does crack I'll add some gusset plates.

Attachments

• 20160810_130053.jpg
    20160810_130053.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 187
Yeah looks can be deceiving haha na that looks nice , i actually have certs for tig welding aluminium and stainless, but like frankfort says he never had a problem, guess there is a lot of variables involved i.e. whether the bike had been used for hard downhill mb'ing or even the way you install the motor but my advice would be to try keep the vibes down, forgot to mention again i presume you have an exhaust on it?

Last edited:
LoL yeah I have an exhaust. I made a small mistake when I first put it on the bike. I forgot to remove some balled up paper towel keeping dust out of the exhaust port. (outdoor build over gravel) It plugged up the muffler so much the engine would not start. Tried running it without and it ran.

Compressed air backwards had no effect getting it out but fire sure did. LOL
20160809_191449.jpg

Back