A non peddling bike engine

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BikerKid123, Apr 30, 2016.

1. BikerKid123

BikerKid123 New Member

Hey guys to start off I'm a newb at this bike and engine thing so I need help. I am currently looking for a bike engine that doesn't need peddiling. Like all you have to do is turn it on then you can stop and go with no peddling (like a moped of dirt bike). My price range is 150 and under and I was just wondering if they even makes these. Thanks for stopping by

Timbone likes this.

2. skyash

skyash Active Member

All the motors can take off with out pedals it's just the gear ratio a loss on top speed is a gain in bottom. Lots of my bikes take off with out pedalling just one push off with your foot. Thats been with a 44 t and 36 t on 26inc wheels a manual clutch is a big help.

3. BikerKid123

BikerKid123 New Member

Okay I'm sorry I'm a newb with engines on bikes and with engines in general I searched the 44 t engine and the prices were over 1000 dollars and it looked like it was for motorcycles. This is a link for an engine on a bicycle engine http://m.ebay.com/itm/161684015658
    would this bike work with no peddling at all or if I took the peddles off? Thanks for being patient :)

4. skyash

skyash Active Member

It's cool Nothing to be sorry about. I was talking about a 66cc push bike motor with 44 t meaning 44 tooth sprocket on a 26 Inc wheel. Basically a stock kit

5. skyash

skyash Active Member

Yes that one in your link

6. skyash

skyash Active Member

Far as I know if you take the pedals off it a motorbike. Depending on your laws

7. skyash

skyash Active Member

Sorry but you need the pedals to start the motor unless you push start or electric starter motor on it but once it started you just rev it up a bit and let go of the clutch slowly

8. BikerKid123

BikerKid123 New Member

Okay thanks for the clarification i looked around for electric starters on 50 cc engines and none of them came with the whole kit like the link I sent above and it was pricey so I was wondering about the push start and also a pull start for the kit that I was talking about above. For a pull start if I put it on the bike and turned it on would I be able to just rev the engine and let go of the clutch and move without it peddiling.

m.ebay.com/itm/Pull-Start-Stater-for-2-Stroke-Motorized-Push-Bike-49cc-70cc-80cc-Engine-Kit-/181930106867?hash=item2a5be11ff3:g:MlMAAOSwgQ9VpSJt

Then here is a link for the push start.
    m.ebay.com/itm/12V-20A-Waterproof-Horn-Engine-Start-Button-Push-Switch-For-Car-Boat-Bike-/182094167325?hash=item2a65a87d1d:g:CPQAAOSw1DtXESHO

My main question is which one is easier to instal on the engine the push button or pull start for the engine kit I sent above. Thanks again!

9. panmines

panmines Member

You would need to install a centrifugal clutch kit in addition to a pull starter in order to have the ability to go from a dead stop. The standard out of the box chinagirl/happytime two stroke engine is a direct drive system where turning the back wheel will turn the engine over. A centrifugal clutch is different where by default the engine is not engaged to the drive train until it reaches a certain rpm. Once it reaches that rpm, it starts to engage and turn the back wheel. Here is a link to a centrifugal clutch kit: http://www.pistonbikes.com/Centrifugal-Clutch-for-a-2-stroke-p/cc2s.htm

If you just had the pull starter you would still have to pedal and gain some speed before you let the clutch go, otherwise the engine would instantly die if you let the clutch go from a dead stop.

Alternatively you could buy a fourstroke because they already have a centerfugal clutch and pull starter built into their design, but they are more expensive than a two stroke. I don't know much about installing an electric starter, but I have seen some people do it and it looks more complicated and needs more parts that what is shown in your eBay link.

Anthony 4k and BikerKid123 like this.
  10. BikerKid123

BikerKid123 New Member

11. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt you can go more than 30 on that engine, with a 2 stroke motor kit you can get them to go a lot faster than that engine and there is a lot more high performance parts for the 2stroker, and yes they fit certain 26-29in bikes

BikerKid123 likes this.
  12. BikerKid123

BikerKid123 New Member

So I should just get a 2 stroke then later add the centrifugal clutch and the pull start. Also I need to know will the kits fit in perfectly?

13. skyash

skyash Active Member

Yes I would get the 2 stroke. I like the pedal start. And you can put a pull start on it. Don't worry about the centrifuge clutch the kit comes with a manual clutch you just rev it up and slowly let out the clutch to take off some bikes do need a push it get going but all the ones I have had and my mates could take off just with a one foot push if that just keep the revs up.and to start I would pick up the bike by the seat right hand to get the back wheel off the ground hold the handle bars with left hand and kick the pedal just like a kick start on a motorbike starts every time. I didn't think you could take off from a dead stop but after seeing like 5 kids do it. And thay rev it all the way up then drop the clutch. It works but better to let the clutch off slow you can feel it bite or when you need to rev it more.

14. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

You won't know till you get a motor, some cruiser bikes that look like they will fit won't work with the frame.
    If you post a picture of your bike then I might be able to tell if it will work but It's not going to be certain

15. panmines

panmines Member

Does letting the clutch out slowly wear down the clutch pads any more than doing the typical "get speed and drop the clutch" method. I have always wondered about this.

16. skyash

skyash Active Member

At eny time the clutch is not fully on or engaged or fully disengaged but is touching a movein part there would be wear and getting up to speed is better. But they don't wear that ezy I've done 10.000km only change the pads once and I don't think it needed it

BikerKid123 likes this.
  17. skyash

skyash Active Member

I say get one you will have the time of your life.

Tauseef and BikerKid123 like this.
  18. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

so...just to elaborate...where you planning on riding this motorbike, and why shouldnt it have pedals?

for a budget of $150.... keep walking, or catch the bus.

you gunna have to get it registered if it has no pedals. its a MOTORBIKE. you can take that rule to be pretty standard across several countries let alone states.

which means it has to have very good brakes, front and back. they have to pass DOT or ADR or similar design rules for motor vehicles.
    unless your from some parts of south america, asia, or other "third world" countries?

your link is to a push button switch, no more, no less. you could hook it up to your bedside lamp. use it as a kill switch. use it as a starter button. stick it on your shirt with "hit the button" written over it...

but then youre going to spend a few hundred on somehow installing a custom electric starter and battery, and wiring, up to your less than $150 engine... custm machined parts dont come cheap.

a pullstart is fine, except when the string breaks...great. now you have no pedals or a way to start the engine. enjoy the push home :)

to put it all in a nutshell... you want the impossible. a $150 motorbike...

sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind...it isnt going to happen! stop dreaming! add another zero to your budget!

FurryOnTheInside likes this.
  19. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Technically, if he has the bike already it is possible to meet his requirements with some savvy buying and advance knowledge/skill. Of course as a newbie he would not be doing this. But, you could buy a Predator 79cc engine for $80 and with the remaining $70 machine up a mounting plate, transmission and buy a rear sprocket, chain, and throttle. I know it is a lot but I think it is possible for advance folks to do. :D

20. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

whos machining it? who does the drawings for the machinist? what happens when the first idea doesnt actually work because its fundamentally flawed, the machinist couldnt care less, and it had no tolerancing so machinist did what they felt like and it all needs to be started again?

sure, i got the junk here to do it and i might spend $50 on chains and cables, etc... if i had those bits kicking around, maybe for nothing!

but i also have a mill, a welder, a lathe... rudimentary experience of what can and will go wrong...