A question about fuel tanks

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Hajuu, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Hajuu

Hajuu Member

Hey guys,

Just a quick question for once haha, I was just wondering if anyone knew the type of plastic thats ok to use with petrol? I know theres the really hard, waxy kind they make jerry cans out of, but I think theres also another, softer kind?

I was hoping to replace the large 2L metal teardrop tank with a 1L plastic oil bottle (recycled into a fuel tank with removable filling spout thing) that would sit within the frame, making the whole thing much more attractive.

I really don't need a 2L tank and although it's not OVERLY obtrusive, I still find it unattractive.

2. Bozanceroz

Bozanceroz New Member

u could get a fuel tank built into the frame :S

3. Hajuu

Hajuu Member

*shrug* why would I pay to get one made, or spend perhaps an entire day making one, when there are containers readily available that fit the dimensions perfectly and (as far as I know) are perfectly fuel safe.

4. Tanaka40

Tanaka40 Member

Most thick polyethylene plastic containers will do, but thinner ones like oil bottles may be too thin to handle the pessures of fuel on a hot day (and the issue of proper pressure venting also raises some flags with me). This inventive gentleman re-used a thick Aloe Vera bottle with a Tanaka gas cap for pressure relief.http://www.bikeengines.com/lloydtest.htm
    There is a thing about being penny wise and pound foolish and being burned from gasoline is one of them. Be careful and stay safe.