A question about fuel tanks

Hajuu

Local time
5:58 AM
Hey guys,

Just a quick question for once haha, I was just wondering if anyone knew the type of plastic thats ok to use with petrol? I know theres the really hard, waxy kind they make jerry cans out of, but I think theres also another, softer kind?

I was hoping to replace the large 2L metal teardrop tank with a 1L plastic oil bottle (recycled into a fuel tank with removable filling spout thing) that would sit within the frame, making the whole thing much more attractive.

I really don't need a 2L tank and although it's not OVERLY obtrusive, I still find it unattractive.

*shrug* why would I pay to get one made, or spend perhaps an entire day making one, when there are containers readily available that fit the dimensions perfectly and (as far as I know) are perfectly fuel safe.

Most thick polyethylene plastic containers will do, but thinner ones like oil bottles may be too thin to handle the pessures of fuel on a hot day (and the issue of proper pressure venting also raises some flags with me). This inventive gentleman re-used a thick Aloe Vera bottle with a Tanaka gas cap for pressure relief.http://www.bikeengines.com/lloydtest.htm
There is a thing about being penny wise and pound foolish and being burned from gasoline is one of them. Be careful and stay safe.

Back