A Question about providing location info when registering

How much Location information is 'OK' to Share at MB.C

• City/State (City/Province/Country)

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Region/State (Region/Province/Country)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • State (Province/Country)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Region of Country

• Country

• I NEVER give location info until I am a member for a while...

• 'Need to Know' ONLY

• Other (please explain with a reply)

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

loquin

Local time
6:14 PM
I'm curious as to folks reasons for not providing any location information when they register, or if they do, how much is 'OK'...

Now, I totally understand, and agree, about not providing your address. That's just common sense.

But, providing general location info, down to state or region of a state should be 'safe' enough that you wouldn't be traceable, but still let folks who are trying to help you have enough information to be able to answer your question.

For instance, if someone tells me that they live in south/central Arizona, I know that they don't have to deal with wet roads (too often,) and that overheating can be a real issue. So, if they ask for recommendations, I would include a Friction drive as an option. I probably wouldn't include FD's in my list if they were from Florida, though... And, if they were from West Virginia, I would probably talk about the need to get a drive ratio that works on hills...

But, even though there are some reasons why location sharing can be a good idea, I can certainly understand that you may have good reasons for not wanting to - maybe you're in the Federal Witness Protection program :lipsrsealed2: ... or you're a bazillionaire that wants to maintain your privacy :whistle: ! That's OK.

So, here's the poll question: What level of location information do you feel comfortable sharing, here at MB.C ? If it's different here than other sites, let us know how, with a comment, if you would. (And, if you never give info at first, but now that you've been here a while, you're OK with sharing more info, why not update your profile?)

Last edited:
Hey i live just south of you! Sierra Vista. Honestly I dont mind so much if people know where I live, heck, if anything you can get some good people to come help you if you need it. I think it just comes from all the trolls/predators we deal with on the net, making people afriad to let the whole world know where they live.

I post just about all my information, as a seller of a product I feel that the customer needs this information. Should they ever be in the need to contact me, there are plenty of avenues they can use. Never ever a question about unable to contact me.

I would like it if everyone at LEAST posted what country they are in... I've got City and State, myself, and I've told one member who lives within a couple miles of me what I major intersection I live near.

I voted other. When I first joined it did not matter to me. I even exchanged phone calls with a fellow member, and that ended very badly when the member went nuts.

Since I'm a bankrupt bazillonaire and now out of the witness protection program I've loosened up my standards a little. just kidding. :devilish:

Region/state is good, sometimes it takes a while to get comfortable at a site though IMO this is one of the most user friendly.

hi i use city and state if someone really wanted to find someone all they need is a name so i do use city and state so people can see were i ride maybe i'll run into someone form this site okay some people don't put location down but they don't put engine down to spcealy when:confused: you know they have a engine or two

ditto---city and state also---but truth tell dont see where if someone was curious and in my area i wouldnt provide more--dont have much time off but me and the missus would most likely be up for company time permitting--even if it was raining doesnt mean couldnt sample some of my homemade beer

LOL

I have participated at homedistiller.org/forum for some time...
...talk abt impact of an oppressive gubment looking to grab tax money!

LOL

And THAT, is even more personal and private than a NEED to go out in public with personal transportation needs !

Admissions and confessions?
Sure, I'll do it.

My health is far from good.
I gotta make any number of various doctor appointments on a regular basis.
The licensing fees applied both to ME, and my personal vehicle are prohibitive.
NOT to mention gubment mandates, (under severe penalty), that I gratify the PRIVATELY OWNED insurance companies before doing so???

Even though I feel it is critical to discuss political matters any time individuals wish to progress, in any way, means, or form, it always seems to draw inordinate attention, AND contention, when I discuss such matters on a forum.

We were acclaimed worldwide as the land of the free, and home of the brave.
Today, it seems as though we are little more than land of the fee and home of the slave.

I do wish all of you the best.
rc

I posted my town and state :)

the answers we all provide to others here sometimes are relevant to our location
(climate/elevation...etc)

never hurts for others to see if you are close enough to get a ride together either !!! ;)

Back