A question needing an answer....

tbrookes2000

Local time
10:53 PM
Hello All...Im back again ....looking for an answer to (probably something I caused) an issue with my Goose.
Will having a "scarred" cylinder cause low compression? It seems to have an issue getting up a hill, and doesnt seem to have the "pickup" it used to. The scar isnt bad...it IS noticable, and you can feel it...but it isnt huge. And what would cause it? I havent had this bike on the road for more than 3 months. Could I have broken it in wrong? Could it have come from all the problems I have had before (those of you who have helped know what I'm talking about)
Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Well I dont know the issues you had before but a damaged cylinder wall can definately affect compression. The clearences are measured in thousandths of an inch. If you can feel it it must be substantial. As far as the cause the reasons are various.A broken ring, piece of casting came off inside the engine, piece of bearing etc. etc. The lighter side of this coin is replacement top end isnt usually going to break the bank. If you head this direction make sure you do a thorough bottom end inspection to make sure a piece of bearing material or something didnt come from below and cause the damage.

Back